• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Talk me out of carrying a Tokarev

If you are comfortable with it , accurate with it , keep it well cleaned and maintained and feel confident that it will perform when you want it to ....carry it and enjoy it.

The only way this is going on my belt for defense is if I convert it to 9MM, and even then, I have other, better choices. I'm just talking about a trail pistol. Small game and the like. Maybe backup for hunting (deep penetration for those big, thick, charging beast skulls). Seems safe, no?

The only way this is going on my belt for defense is if I convert it to 9MM, and even then, I have other, better choices. I'm just talking about a trail pistol. Small game and the like. Maybe backup for hunting (deep penetration for those big, thick, charging beast skulls). Seems safe, no?

Are you planning on using steel core ball ammo or wanting hollow pts?

The 7.62x25 Tokarev is a very fast light round, called the "pocket rifle" by some. Something like an 80-grain bullet moving out at 1500 fps. It is still preferred by the Russian mafia for it's supposed ability to penetrate cheaper or older body armor. Not sure how much of that is legend but I do imagine it would be a very potent round for punching through obstacles.

The only body armor police recommend against the 7.62X25 is level IIIA+ the bullet moves much faster than the 9mm and is capable of penetrating more. If you want to switch over its up to you but penetration wise you can shoot through body armor, boars skulls and vehicles. its up to you but moving to the 9mm only gives you a slower moving round with less penetration than the 7.62x25

Vehicle tests against 7.62x25

Discussion pertaining to the 7.62x25

It sounds like you talked your self out of the load anyways.

Here is some wolf Ammo that is screaming out at an average of 1610 fps. I would like to see a 9mm do that from the factory.
Wolf 7.62x25 ammo

Winchester Tokarev ammo 1645FPS average

Here are some mag safe rounds that clocked over 2000 FPS. Even if they are safety round that is freaking screaming fast.
Mag safe Tok rounds.

I just buy cheap mil surplus when it comes around from china or anywhere else. You cannot trump those steel core rounds when it comes to punching its way through things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom