• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Target Plates for shooting .22 to 7.62x39

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I want to build a target setup for shooting from 5 yards to 30 yards. I have no clue what type of plates will work for shooting everything from .22 to .45 to 5.56 to 7.62x39? I know some plates can handle rifle calibers and others won't. I am sure I can research the crap out of it and eventually figure it out, but feel more comfortable from the feedback from the ODT.

Thanks for any information.

std cold steel or stainless less that 3/4 thick won't handle it, been there done that, even std steel would pit like shooting in mud.

5.56 is the issue for making dimples due to speed and Making plates dangerous. I wouldn't shoot a rifle at anything lower than 100 yards either. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in shortly.

Armoloy and the like, a 3/8 plate will handle 556 just fine. many on the market to select from.
Look here

I've had the same AR500 torso steel plates on my range for two years now. The only time I've had any issues is when someone had a mag of steel core.

Standard lead ball ammo won't do anything to the plates. I've been as close as 10 yards.

Back
Top Bottom