• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Taxidermy Questions

I'm glad someone said this. Taxidermy is an art and it is always better to have quality work than shabby work, even if it costs a bit more. You put in your time, money and energy into hunting, so cough up a little bit more and get a decent mount. Not saying you can't have good work for a reasonable price, only saying you get what you pay for. None of my taxidermists are close to you so I'm not sure you would want to drive very far. The drive doesn't bother me either. My last mount was done by a guy two hours away and it was a most pleasant ride. Whoever you hire, make sure and look at some of their work before committing. If they have a website, look at their customers mounts and decide if their work is worth the price they are asking. If not, they will have mounts in their studios or photo albums, at the very least. If they can't produce anything to visualize, move on. You can get a very good mount for less than $400. $300-$350 should get a good quality mount that you will be proud of. Congrats on your buck.

I should have went into reasonable a little more indepth. I know of shops I'm not going to name because some might like them. But I have looked at many $400+ dollar mounts that look like crap, but I do agree with asking to see older mounts. My buddy got his first buck mounted this season will mark 9 years ago, the sewn seam on the neck has separated 4 times, the nose was cracked when he got it and the base of the neck as 3 sewn parts that looks Frankenstein like. He paid 450 for it and took the entire length cape and we never cut into the hair. We were able to get a mature cull that we used the cape from to make his mount worth a crap. A grand and almost 10 years later he has a decent mount

I am stuck in between A) Getting the shoulder mount from a place I was sent 2 PMs about or B) Just getting a European mount from a guy using the dermestid beetles.
My only set back is what if I go another 4+ plus years without a wall hanger since he is my biggest to date. Or if I go back on rut and shoot something bigger that makes him look weasel on the wall

This my 6 that my cousin did for me. He ordered books and dvds then bought all the stuff and I was saving up to pay him and he surprisingly gave it to me for Christmas. He made him look EXACTLY how he was when he walked out that morning ears, head, everything. Not bad for the first time ever. But he doesn't have time to do the ones he already has now luckily its just friends and family deer. photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom