• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Taxidermy Questions

Spend a little more and get it done right. I use Ronnie Butler in Manchester, GA (I know long ways from you). Last one I had done 5-6 years ago was $425 with wooden plaque behind it. He normally is about a year behind due to the large number of mounts. However, you can walk into his shop and most likely he will have several Team Realtree mounts in the queue. The one I had done from 13 seasons ago looks just like the day I got it except for a little dust.
Where ever you go, ask about seeing some of their older mounts, cheap work can cause the hair to start falling out after a couple of years. Well done mounts always look life like, poorly done mounts look like bad plastic surgery and will always be a disappointment to you.

I shot my biggest buck to date the opening date of gun season. It might not be a trophy to you but it is to me so keep negative comments to your self please. But I am trying to find a reasonably priced place to take my deer to have mounted. I am wanting a shoulder mount. I have it caped properly I am just trying to find a place around the Cumming area.
Way to go man! You get it with your bow or rifle?

Call Woody's (in Baldwin) and get their current prices. (706) 778-2593 The couple they've done for me are perfect (disclaimer: it was before Woody passed away, hopefully no change as his guys had been doing most of the deer anyway)
It's amazing what difference $100 apparently makes in the quality of mounts.

hope this doesn't come across wrong, but its a trophy you'll be looking at forever, make sure you get quality work done, or it will cost you a lot more to have someone redo a poor job.

I'm glad someone said this. Taxidermy is an art and it is always better to have quality work than shabby work, even if it costs a bit more. You put in your time, money and energy into hunting, so cough up a little bit more and get a decent mount. Not saying you can't have good work for a reasonable price, only saying you get what you pay for. None of my taxidermists are close to you so I'm not sure you would want to drive very far. The drive doesn't bother me either. My last mount was done by a guy two hours away and it was a most pleasant ride. Whoever you hire, make sure and look at some of their work before committing. If they have a website, look at their customers mounts and decide if their work is worth the price they are asking. If not, they will have mounts in their studios or photo albums, at the very least. If they can't produce anything to visualize, move on. You can get a very good mount for less than $400. $300-$350 should get a good quality mount that you will be proud of. Congrats on your buck.

Back
Top Bottom