• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

teach me something about triggers please

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
So I'd like to build a competition specific gun sometime within the next year. I'm wanting to build a 9mm 1911. I'm thinking if I buy one of the lower end ones since I plan on replacing the barrel, trigger, bushing, sights anyway that it might be a cheaper route (RIA for example). Of course I also thought about going with one of the springfields that cost a little more but already come with the target sights which I've noticed are quite expensive themselves.

My big question though is trigger. I'd like it to be around a 2.5lb pull. My neighbor just picked up an XDM with the 2.5lb competition trigger and its just lovely. I was in love with my sig trigger but that thing is just so perfect. So what makes a trigger that soft? Is it the trigger spring? hammer spring? sear? Can you make a 1911 to have a trigger that soft?

I'd love to get the trigger on my .22 AR15 that soft as well

start with a better pistol.. if you start with a cheap 1911 you will still end up with a cheap 1911 no matter what parts you put in it.

a springfield with the sights you want for competition would be your best $$ spent.. then have a 1911 smith like John Harrison do your trigger... 2 1/2 lbs is quite possible on a 1911, BUT that is for competition only !!.. It will make you think all striker fire pistols are junk. a 3 1/2 lb trigger will surprise you on a 1911 if done right.

that light a trigger pull on a 1911 is not for amateurs.. it is the combination of mainspring, sear spring, sear and hammer setup. not done correctly and you will have an unsafe weapon.

save up and get a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm and you will be more than half way there.. you will not regret it. sights can cost a good bit of $$ to install. For after market barrels Kart is the name you want for a 1911. if you get the range officer a trigger job is about all you need to start.

Last edited:
As far as your AR goes there are many spring kits out there to reduce you trigger pull but if you are wanting 2 1/2 lbs then after market triggers are the way to go such as the Timney

As far as your AR goes there are many spring kits out there to reduce you trigger pull but if you are wanting 2 1/2 lbs then after market triggers are the way to go such as the Timney

Geissele is great also.

Back to the 1911-- another vote for John Harrison. When we were discussing my work, he let me dry fire one of his personal guns-- by far the best pistol trigger I've ever tripped. I opted to go a little cheaper (replacing fewer parts), and got one 80% as good. But he can certainly make you happy.

Back
Top Bottom