• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tell me if I am wrong on this way of thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
I used to have tons of gun. When I say tons of guns, I mean I was actually finding guns that I forgot I had. Found a Springfield xdm9 behind my gun cabinet and a S&W 1911 in the garage on a shelf I put it on just after I bought it. Yeah, stupid I know!! Now I have three guns. My glock 21, my Mossberg 500A and my AK 47 I am about to have off a trade. I have changed my way of thinking about guns. Instead of "lots of guns" I am thinking "lots of bang with the few guns I have." I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but think sh*t is going to get really bad at some point in the next 10 years. That is why I am getting guns I believe will stand up to harsh elements if need be. What's your guys take on this?

It sounds like you are trying to perfect the story before you spring it on your wife, trying to convince her about your "need" for a few more guns. Am I right?

for me its just economy. i used to have a lot, now a few. but with age you learn what works for you. on the other hand you learn to make any of them work for you. lol.

no, I actually only want one more gun, a glock 30 or 36 for conceal carry so I am not lugging that big a$$ 21 around. Plus, that keeps me only having to pick up .45 ammo, 12 guage and 7.62x39. A friend of mine told me he has one mini 14 and over 10,000 rounds of .223. Says he buys 100 rounds per pay check and has been doing that for years now. Hardly ever shoots the Mini. Also picks up a couple of mags every now and then. I have never personally seen this, but I don't imagine he has much reason to lie to me about it.

Plus I have an awesome marriage. She has her money, I have mine. As long as the bills are paid, retirement is met each month and the kiddos are good to go on clothes or other needs, then I can get what I want and she has no problems with. I actually tested this once when I bought a Kimber and M&P handgun on the same day, just to see how she would react. She did not give a sh*t, surprised me! She is a keeper.

Sounds about right Lew. Not sure why you would let go of an AK unless you have an alternative in a similar platform in mind though.

Along with standing up to the elements, I like the ability to use more ammo options as much as possible. My handgun choices are Glock 21(45acp) with 10MM barrel/mags and Glock 27(40 S&W) with 9MM barrel/mags. My Mossberg is an 88 but still gives me the 12 gauge capabilities. I thought(and am still thinking) about the AR vs AK thing and so far I'm still with the AK. Ammo is cheap and, I think more versatile than the 5.56. I think the 7.62x39 has more close in punch and gives a bit better hunting performance if it ever came to that. I may look toward getting an AR as well though.

I'm a big proponent of the concept of quality over quantity. I would much rather have 3 awesome guns than 10 mediocre ones. I'm not even sure how many I have right now, but it's probably in the 8-9 range.

NOTHING wrong with that way of thinking. I have 3 main guns that I would go to war with. ALL the rest of them are for fun. Those 3 main guns are what count. I have the most mags, ammo, and parts for those guns so that if I ever have to use them for a long period of time... I know I can keep them running. ALWAYS best to have a set of guns you KNOW will work when the time comes. I always get tons of practice with those 3 guns.

My three,

FN FS 2000, many mags, many parts, tons of ammo
AK-74, many mags , many parts... WAYYYY too much ammo
1911 , many mags, many parts, still working on the ammo ;)

Got the good ol AK-47 7.62x39 as a back up.

Last edited:
Sounds about right Lew. Not sure why you would let go of an AK unless you have an alternative in a similar platform in mind though.

I am not letting go of an AK, I am trading off an AR for one. I have never had an AK, so this is a brand new platform for me. So new, that I don't remember ever picking one up to look at it. I have had an AR, carried the Colt M-16 for ten years. I stayed with this platform cause I know it very well. I am switching platforms cause I believe I am getting a great AK. It is a nornico 56s preban AK-47. I have seen one listed for big cash. My AR is equal to the cash amount, but I am a big fan of the 7.62 round. My friend has a SKS and when we go shoot, the holes in the target from my AR are tinny compared to his holes. I hate that! However, my holes are much closer grouped and dead on target!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom