• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Temp rises at highway speeds

I have boiled plenty

Havery seen many that gets stuck open

But rarely closed
Ruined a few by boiling as well. Get too hot... I always change thermostat with every over heating problem because extreme temps can damage them.

The time involved to heat water slowly enough to be an accurate reading when and opening and closing is simply not worth the effort.
I have used the boiling method to rule out certain problems and anyone that wants to test each one is certainly fine. Lord knows there are certainly things I do on the race bikes that is redundant, but I do anyway.
That being said I have diagnosed and repaired thousands of overheating problems for over three decades. I have only a few (may be 3-4max) problems with new thermostats, and that was a specific line that Auto Zone was carrying, and had made a change of manufacture. (Fail Safe)
If I used the time consuming method I would have wasted way too much time that a customer would be paying for. IMO
Although if this method was used often enough I guess the mechanic would have a set up for that purpose, and would take considerably less time.

I have put quite a few in a pan of water on the hot plate in my shop. have also seen several not open more than a crack in hard boiling water.
Like Lockout Lockout said, I too have seen them stick open and closed. Stuck open can make an engine run hot too.. Water doesn't always stay in the radiator long enough to cool down sufficiently.

Back
Top Bottom