THANKS for the Help C & R Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, forgot to mention that many of the early Finn Mosins have bore diameters that slug around .308 and may not be safe for shooting modern surplus. However, a "D" stamp on the barrel shank means that the rifle was rechambered for .310-.311 and is safe for shooting modern 7.62x54r.

It does have the "D" stamp so it should shoot 7.62x54R ammo. Good information, thanks again.

Great looking rifle, and a lucky find. I've still yet to stumble across an m28 in person, or add one to the collection, and it should shoot very well if the rifling's in good shape. Let us know how she shoots when you get her out to the range!

And not to take away from what is a fine purchase, but it does look like the stock's been sanded/refinished. This could diminish value should you choose to resell it as most mosin collectors want their rifles' finishes left untouched. Not at all trying to disparage, I'd have jumped on this rifle myself, just giving you a heads up should you choose to part with it in the future. Regardless, she's a beaut!

Great looking rifle, and a lucky find. I've still yet to stumble across an m28 in person, or add one to the collection, and it should shoot very well if the rifling's in good shape. Let us know how she shoots when you get her out to the range!

And not to take away from what is a fine purchase, but it does look like the stock's been sanded/refinished. This could diminish value should you choose to resell it as most mosin collectors want their rifles' finishes left untouched. Not at all trying to disparage, I'd have jumped on this rifle myself, just giving you a heads up should you choose to part with it in the future. Regardless, she's a beaut!

Does not appear to be sanded, maybe a coat of sealer or clearcoat but from what I understand they originally used a combination of beeswax. pine tar and turpentine. It seems to have the telltale signs of "blotchiness" characterisitic of pine tar. It has very clear markings on the rear stock face in a series of geometric squares. Who knows. I have learned a lot about these and the upper end mosins the last few days. The seller obviously had no idea what it was and my curiosity sparked an educational search on my part as my collection consists mostly of the Russian variants. Want to learn more about them.

P.S. I did wipe her down real good with a lubricant before snapping the pics so it may look a little shiny.

Last edited:
Gotcha, it may just be the pics, they look like they have that polyurethane sheen. A clear coat over the wood would not be correct for the rifle, however. The pine tar mix finish tends to be pretty matte, but cameras play tricks at times.

A sure way to tell if it was sanded is to look for an "SYT" in an oval stamped in the finger grooves, it should be on the right side if memory serves. If not present its a good indicator that the stock was sanded or replaced.

Gotcha, it may just be the pics, they look like they have that polyurethane sheen. A clear coat over the wood would not be correct for the rifle, however. The pine tar mix finish tends to be pretty matte, but cameras play tricks at times.

A sure way to tell if it was sanded is to look for an "SYT" in an oval stamped in the finger grooves, it should be on the right side if memory serves. If not present its a good indicator that the stock was sanded or replaced.

It does have the circle with faint SYT in the right finger groove.

IMG_9532.jpghere is my M27

Thanks for all of the help and information guys. I cannot tell whether it has been re-finished or not and the posted history still leaves a little ambiguity to it. I found this in my research which may shed a little light but still no confirmation. It is posted on Mosinnagant.net "The finish applied to the birch m/28-30 stocks was first a stain to seal and color the wood. Stocks made from walnut wood were not colored in any way. A departure from the army’s style was that the m/28-30 would have the barrel channel of the stock varnished for hardness. After the varnish in the barrel channel had dried it was then coated again with hardener of a lacquer base. The outside of the stock was also finished with a protective coating. Two coats of "Four hour Pomo-lacquer" (pomo translates literally to “boss”) was added as a final finish."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom