• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The 500 S&W

Just an insane beast. It WILL beat the hell out of your arm and wrist with full house loads. The other poster was right, if you know someone with a Mossberg pistol grip let them let you shoot a few 3" slugs out of it and that is almost exactly what a compenstated 500 S&W Mag feels like on the palm of your hand. It is sick fun though for about 15 to 20 shots. Even more fun is a 460 S&W Mag. Just as much if not MORE blast and noise with MUCH less beating the hell out of you, plus you can shoot 454 casull and 45 LC through the 460.

The one I shot was not that bad. I shot one of the very first models back in 2003 or 04, I can't remember exactly. It was the over 8" model with the compensator on the barrel. The kick was more straight back than up, to me. It was blowing some nice chunks out of the pine log I was shooting though! I still have shot 44 mags that seemed to kick way more to me.

The one I shot was not that bad. I shot one of the very first models back in 2003 or 04, I can't remember exactly. It was the over 8" model with the compensator on the barrel. The kick was more straight back than up, to me. It was blowing some nice chunks out of the pine log I was shooting though! I still have shot 44 mags that seemed to kick way more to me.

Yeah, you were probably shooting some of the milder loads otherwise you would have remembered a much more dramatic experience.
The compensator does work well by directing the barrel downward, and you are right about it kicking back which is why I wore gloves especially on hot sweaty summer days when sweaty hands did not grip things well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did, scary stuff!

I need to check this out.

Not sure.
His first shot was from single action and the double tap ensued instantly.
Probably a mix if inexperience and raw power....But I've never seen that happen before with a wheel gun.

While this might better go in the confessions thread... that happened to me. Was offered a chance to shoot the .500 S&W, fired first shot single-action; on the way up on recoil it fired again and binged the front sight off my forehead. Hadn't heard of that happening with a revolver before.

I did finish off the cylinder, double action this time.

While this might better go in the confessions thread... that happened to me. Was offered a chance to shoot the .500 S&W, fired first shot single-action; on the way up on recoil it fired again and binged the front sight off my forehead. Hadn't heard of that happening with a revolver before.

I did finish off the cylinder, double action this time.

Ouch!
Any carnage pics?....I/E " blood"?

Back
Top Bottom