• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The BEER thread...

India makes a good beer. Who knew? As good as any domestic lager. I'll be buying more of these.

20171006_183332.jpg
20171006_183550.jpg

Just seeing this thread...how the hell could I have missed it???
Guinness ( goes without saying )
Any true British IPA
Ok, IPAs period.
Tried a new one last weekend..Wired8, an Imperial stout brewed in New Zealand. Outstanding stuff.
Skullsplitter Orkney Ale
Well's Bombardier
I could go on. If there are some real beer snobs on here, you owe it to yourself to get yourselves down to the Brick Store in downtown Decatur. It is the beer mecca in Georgia. The selection is mind boggling. If they don't have it, it doesn't exist.

Just seeing this thread...how the hell could I have missed it???
Guinness ( goes without saying )
Any true British IPA
Ok, IPAs period.
Tried a new one last weekend..Wired8, an Imperial stout brewed in New Zealand. Outstanding stuff.
Skullsplitter Orkney Ale
Well's Bombardier
I could go on. If there are some real beer snobs on here, you owe it to yourself to get yourselves down to the Brick Store in downtown Decatur. It is the beer mecca in Georgia. The selection is mind boggling. If they don't have it, it doesn't exist.

Curious what's the difference between British and domestic IPAs? I just can't get into IPAs but it seems like that's what the majority of the beer drinkers here like. If I can find that Dogfish Head 120 minute, I guess I'm gonna try that lol...

fast306..the Cliff Notes version is this:
IPA..India Pale Ale..ale brewed for the British in the Indian colonies. Hopped big for the trip over. Theoretically the casks were ready to go by the time they got there. Real Brit IPAs will not be as hoppy as American IPAs. In fact they're like night and day.
Dogfish Head makes some great brews, but if you want a real Brit IPA, you can't go wrong with Samuel Smith's India Ale.

Samuel Smith control a lot of pubs cross the pond. The sign will say free house meaning they can sell whatever. I frequented a lot of free houses always trying a different bitter as they call it. I like IPAs. Don't care for Guinnes much but do like Bass. Even the Brits will water down the Guiness with a lager for a half and half. The IPAs like wine offer endless variations of flavor and need to be not so cold to realize the taste. You guys mention some other non IPAs that are worthy. I will start... Bohemia, a German pilsner brewed in Mexico and Moosehead from Canada are 2 that I like.

Yep, free houses always had something new and different when I was over there. Samuel Smith's was always one of my favorite brewers. Boddintons always good as well, as well as Theakstons. Can't beat a Newcastle, either.
Try a Bommen and Grenaten, a Brit style barleywine brewed in the Netherlands.

Samuel Smith control a lot of pubs cross the pond. The sign will say free house meaning they can sell whatever. I frequented a lot of free houses always trying a different bitter as they call it. I like IPAs. Don't care for Guinnes much but do like Bass. Even the Brits will water down the Guiness with a lager for a half and half. The IPAs like wine offer endless variations of flavor and need to be not so cold to realize the taste. You guys mention some other non IPAs that are worthy. I will start... Bohemia, a German pilsner brewed in Mexico and Moosehead from Canada are 2 that I like.

Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale is one of my favorite beers of all time. I like the IPA's as well.

Curious what's the difference between British and domestic IPAs? I just can't get into IPAs but it seems like that's what the majority of the beer drinkers here like. If I can find that Dogfish Head 120 minute, I guess I'm gonna try that lol...

I love IPA's and really wanted to try the 120. Well! I was at a pub in Connecticut and they had it on tap. Couldn't have been more disappointed in a beer! It didn't taste like beer, more like a liqueur. There was something in it that really had an unpleasant taste that I tasted in my nose, if that makes sense?
Stick with the 60, that is good IPA.

Back
Top Bottom