• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Day Pontiac Died

Got my first “performance award” going to pick my Dad up from work one night in his ‘74 Formula 400 Firebird doing 113 in a 40 mph zone. Evidently he (the cop) knew my Dad because he only wrote the ticket for 55 in a 40, AND Dad already knew I had gotten the ticket when I picked him up 15 minutes later. Lol!

I borrowed his ‘77 Trans Am (Thunder Chicken lol) to go on my honeymoon to the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hilton in ‘79. We went from Newnan to Chattanooga stopping twice for cigarettes & wine and we were checking in one & a half hours later. You better believe we were haulin’ ass! I literally passed everything on the road and never even saw one single cop all the way up and back to Newnan, only saw one in Tennessee while we were there. Nothing like being young thinking you’re 10 ft tall and bulletproof sipping champagne on the way home doing well over 100 mph, it’s a miracle I even saw my 21st birthday much less my 65th! Boy howdy I did some dumb **** back then. 😂

My mom had a '66 Bonneville.
I drove it a lot when I was in my teens.
The front end looked like this.
It was very impressive.
And it had a big engine, but I forget the specs -- high 300's cubic inches.

Attachments

• A48F37F9-CC9F-4AE5-81A8-834998848E99.jpeg
    A48F37F9-CC9F-4AE5-81A8-834998848E99.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 2
Was driving my then new 396 ‘69 Nova SS through Ocala Florida one day, guy in a new Judge waved me over. Wanted to trade even on the spot, said he had wanted a Nove, local dealer refused to order him one.
Just looked up production figures, mine was one of 1947 produced that year with the 350 horse engine.
IMG_2836.png

Pic not mine, but identical.

Back
Top Bottom