• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The dreaded idiot scratch

Stringbender

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Bender of Strings
72   0
Reaction score
First let me say I have never done this to a 1911 but it HAS kept me from buying a couple. What I want to find out here is how much YOU subtract from the value when buying or trading for. I am looking at a nice commander now but I just can't make myself ignore that scratch. I would like some opinions from you on the subject, any and all welcome.

It means nothing to me unless it is a super nice collectable 1911 that I have no plans on shooting (in which case, I wouldn't buy it anyway)

I shoot use my guns, and with use comes finish wear. If it gets bad enough, I will refinish it.

I'm not a collector, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

If you are a collector, I see no reason to buy a gun that has an idiot mark on it.

I dont care on my carry guns. I dont like my range toys scratched up though. Just my $.02

Same here, I do appreciate honest wear from a working gun but an idiot scratch is not really honest wear. I would not to expect to pay NIB price even it was "unfired".

I put a channel in the slide release on a really, really tight 1911 to prevent the "idiot" scratch.

i47.tinypic.com_1iiges.jpg

Back
Top Bottom