• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The dreaded idiot scratch

I acquired my 1911 with lots of scratches and even a little surface rust. It shoots great and I'm happy. Also, I don't have to worry about adding my own scratches because they just add to the character of the gun now.

That being said, I didn't pay LNIB price for it so yeah, any scratch or wear diminishes the value.

Kind of depends on the gun... if there's a lot of other wear, then it's an non-issue- so long as it's priced accordingly. If the idiot scratch is the only mark on the gun, then take off about $100. Just my opinion.

I've had a few 1911s, but none currently. Never put an idiot mark on it. Part of me thinks it speaks poorly of me at the range, but that's probably me being silly and being concerned about others opinions.

I have never marked one myself(yet!) but if it happened to the ones I carry and shoot a lot I would not care. Now when I am looking at a 1911 that I may use for trading I usually stay away because other are so anal about it.

I have my eye on something but can't justify $1,200 for something that has scratches on it. Not saying it isn't worth it. Who knows, it may be a steal at that price, but in my mind...

On the other hand, if it was a RRA 1911 for $350, who cares?

Lots of different opinions on it and that's just what I wanted. I think I will pass on the scratched gun I am looking at because I don't think I could ever stop looking at it, wishing it wasn't there. I am not really a collector and wouldn't mind some honest holster wear but "that scratch" just turns me off. I have an old beater Glock that I consider a "tool" and wouldn't care what shape the finish was in. On the other hand if I am going to spend close to a grand on a 1911, I've decided that it cant wear the proof that an "idiot" reassembled it (joking, please don't flame me if you've done this to a pistol and admit to it) Thanks for all the replies! I'll keep looking..........

Back
Top Bottom