• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The government is trying harder to track you...

Glad to see the politicians had their priorities straight and got that done first thing out of the gate, not like there was anything pressing for them to do-you know like debt, excessive taxes, unemployment, wars etc.

There is probably already sophisticated enough technology out there for someone to pull together your entire online history to form a comprehensive profile of every person in the U.S. This just makes it easier for the government to access it.

One time I saw on Facebook, on a friend's link, your friend "so and so" used this app and found so many lost friends. So I clicked on the link to see what the app does, it returned, my full name, address, phone number, birthdate, etc..some of that information, I did not give to Facebook. That was enough to make me think there is no such thing as privacy any more.

Then recently, I uploaded some vacation pictures onto Facebook. Normally you have to tag each person and tell Facebook who that person is so it shows up on there FB page. This time, as soon as the pictures were uploaded, their facial recognition program immediately recognized the people in the pictures and assigned their names! It's a great feature in terms of not having to go to pictures one by one to tag people, but I also heard the government (homeland security or TSA) will start using this feature from an iphone. In other words, all they have to do is take a picture of you and tell be able to pull up your entire profile.

I know Bearpugh thinks people here are paranoid that big brother is coming to get us. I lived through the cold war years, and was taught to have a healthy fear of how easily government can be corrupted and turn against its people. Given how much the government has infringed on private citizen's civil rights these last couple of years, I don't think my fears are unwarranted. They used to fight about how George Bush's wire tapping terrorist was illegal, now they can grope you at the airports, take your picture to id you, enter your home or track your movements without a warrant, do a driveby Xray scan of your house, and now accumulate your online data. All this does not lend much comfort.

There is probably already sophisticated enough technology out there for someone to pull together your entire online history to form a comprehensive profile of every person in the U.S. This just makes it easier for the government to access it.

One time I saw on Facebook, on a friend's link, your friend "so and so" used this app and found so many lost friends. So I clicked on the link to see what the app does, it returned, my full name, address, phone number, birthdate, etc..some of that information, I did not give to Facebook. That was enough to make me think there is no such thing as privacy any more.

Then recently, I uploaded some vacation pictures onto Facebook. Normally you have to tag each person and tell Facebook who that person is so it shows up on there FB page. This time, as soon as the pictures were uploaded, their facial recognition program immediately recognized the people in the pictures and assigned their names! It's a great feature in terms of not having to go to pictures one by one to tag people, but I also heard the government (homeland security or TSA) will start using this feature from an iphone. In other words, all they have to do is take a picture of you and tell be able to pull up your entire profile.

I know Bearpugh thinks people here are paranoid that big brother is coming to get us. I lived through the cold war years, and was taught to have a healthy fear of how easily government can be corrupted and turn against its people. Given how much the government has infringed on private citizen's civil rights these last couple of years, I don't think my fears are unwarranted. They used to fight about how George Bush's wire tapping terrorist was illegal, now they can grope you at the airports, take your picture to id you, enter your home or track your movements without a warrant, do a driveby Xray scan of your house, and now accumulate your online data. All this does not lend much comfort.

Well, I feel safer already.lol

Back
Top Bottom