• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The perfect rifle

Optics make or break a setup for sure. I typically spend as much on mounts, rings and optics as I did the rifle.

Agreed. And I like Burdy's choice of a 3-18 power with hunting turrets. I'm not a fan of the big, heavy 5-25 NF with tactical turrets on a hunting carry gun. Maybe for a "truck" gun.

I think I would go a different path. I would not necessarily look at having a high dollar custom one off. I would invest in the optics to drive your gun. I think a I think a .300 RUM would be spot on. Then hang a great optic on! I'm a loyal highend Zeiss guy. But there's some great choices out there.

I hear you. But I've always wanted a gun made just like I want it...and my local gunsmith is making some real nice rifles that SHOOT. But I agree about optics.

Build a custom. Then you control everything. I think the newer fnh made winnys are the only thing that have 3 position safeties. Maybe look into a m70 or fn pbr and have it worked over. Proof barrels are excellent but cost a small fortune.

I built a 2000 dollar AR10 in just parts. After I assembled it I was broke. I wanted to shoot it so bad I bought a 220 dollar Bushnell AR optic 308 because I didn't have the funds to spend a ton on a scope at the time. Believe it or not that little cheap scope consistently punches .375 groups at 100 all day long. The scope works click for click and has never lost it's zero. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I had not have seen it first hand. I an usually with you on spending big money on a scope to match a big money gun but this scope does the job and I have no intentions on replacing it. I usually use Nikon, Vortex or Leopold at the bare minimum. I guess I just got a freak Bushnell.
The issue is not generally loss of zero or lack of ability of an economy priced scope at the range on a sunny day. Where better scopes make a difference is the first and last 10 minutes of light, clear definition in heavy brush and other complex backgrounds, bad weather, tough field conditions.

I'm sensing a lot of people are reading the thread title and answering THAT, without reading any further.

As to OP's real question, I'm going to sit back and see what you pick and hope for a range report when you eventually get it.

Me, personally... I would not bother with a custom rifle. I'd buy a good off-the-shelf ($800 - $1500) .300 magnum for those 500-yard Elk shots, get a decent scope in the $400 price range, a bipod with adjustable legs, a good carry sling, and a bunch of cases.

Titanium receiver??? Ok, whatever floats your boat. I'm not paying for that. If losing weight is so important to you, eat a few less cheeseburgers and have a few more tofu and bean curd wraps. I'll take a steel receiver, thanks.

If you want to make 500 yard shots on game in the real world, your skill as a rifleman matters more than the fine points of your gear. Sure, you can't use a lever action Marlin topped with a $49 scope from Wal-Mart, chambered in .30-30, but any and all of the equipment you've talked about is fine, and many off-the-shelf guns should be fine, too.

Back
Top Bottom