• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The perfect rifle

I'm not a custom rifle guy.

Here's a Savage 11 / 111 Long Range Hunter.
Comes in many calibers, and .300 Winchester Short Magnum looks good for 500 yard elk hunting out West.
The rifle, in that chambering, with its long 26" barrel and the Accu-Stock with the adjustable comb for use with big-lens scopes, only weighs 8.4 lbs. That's fine with me.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER

AT 500 YARDS:

The .300 WSM lands the bullet into the animal with 1700 ft/ lbs engery.
The .300 RUM lands a heavier bullet into the animal with 1800 ft/lbs energy.
The .338 Lapua lands its big bullet into the animal with 2000 ft/lbs energy.

Wind drift in a 6 mph crosswind (90 degree angle to bullet flight path) is 10" for the .300 WSM, and 13" for both the RUM and the Lapua. So really, no significant difference there.

If you zero any of these rifles at 250 yards, your point-blank range to hit within an 8" kill zone aiming dead center is:
0-325 yards on either of the 300 calibers, and 0 - 300 yards on the .338 Lapua.

So, I'm still thinking that the .300 Win Short Mag is the ticket for a long-range hunting rifle caliber that's going to fit in a normal-length action, and thus keep the weight of the rifle reasonable.

Take a close look at the 300 WSM. It has 98% of the capability of the 300 Win Mag in a lighter short action with superior accuracy. It will also handle the heavier bullets as long as the barrel twist rate is right. I used to compete with a 300 WSM 1-10 twist shooting 210 grain SMKs through a Krieger Barrel. That rifle would shoot the lights out, no problem.

BTW, for what you describe, the 300 RUM is way over gunned. If you were talking about taking Elk at 1000 yards plus it would make more sense, but at 500 yards the 300 WSM has everything you need and then some.

If
Those look like nice rifles. I'm not so sure about that safety not locking the bolt however. I had one rifle like that and it made me nervous about accidentally catching the bolt handle on something in a hunting environment.

I have one of the Swarovski scopes with the turrets. I think I like it . Just haven't had time to tweak them and test enough at long range so that I trust them.

If you are dying for something with a bolt lock, that's factory, we have had this rifle out to 1250 yards in 6.5 CM. It weighs 6.8 lbs in .300 WSM and comes with a muzzle brake as you so desire. It shoots outstanding for a rifle of it's weight and I have to admit, it looks really slick in person. Probably an unconventional option, but one I feel would definitely be up to what you are wanting to do.

http://www.browning.com/products/fi...ent-production/x-bolt-hells-canyon-speed.html

The Bergara is an excellent option. A lot of rifle for the money.

I recommend having AO build you a rifle on a Stiller action.

Some of the calibers I would consider:
.300WSM
.30-06 (oldie but a goodie, been getting 'er done for a loooooong time)
7mmSTW (always wanted one, don't know why)
.338-06AI (got one, custom rug on a commercial Mauser action)

For a barrel, I'd go with a Proof Research or whatever barrel AO recommends. They use quite a few Bartleins, last I checked. If a steel barrel, light contour, and/or fluted. Not a fan of fluting but it has its place.

For a stock, a McMillan M40A1 or Manners MCS-EH2 or EH3.

That's what I would recommend with your criteria in mind. If it were me, it would be a bedded wooden stock, blued metal, in an old school caliber like .338-06AI, in an old school action like a pre-'64 Win70 or commercial Mauser (or a facsimile thereof, like a Montan Rifle Co model 99 action). Wait.....I already have that rifle! LOL

If

If you are dying for something with a bolt lock, that's factory, we have had this rifle out to 1250 yards in 6.5 CM. It weighs 6.8 lbs in .300 WSM and comes with a muzzle brake as you so desire. It shoots outstanding for a rifle of it's weight and I have to admit, it looks really slick in person. Probably an unconventional option, but one I feel would definitely be up to what you are wanting to do.

http://www.browning.com/products/fi...ent-production/x-bolt-hells-canyon-speed.html

I like the Browning X-Bolt a lot, and Browning is doing several interesting model variations in that rifle. I love some of the maple-stocked models.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna look again at .300 WSM. I like the idea of a short action...just didn't think it would shoot the 200+ grain bullets like the .300 RUM.

As to custom vs off-the-shelf rifles...yea I get that too. Many factory rifles today will shoot sub-moa out of the box. I have a couple of them.

But custom rifles are interesting to me...just like some people like to customize their cars.

To each his own I guess.

I also understand that long range accuracy is very much about the optics and the man behind the optics. I have hunted out west for years and I'm quite familiar with shooting in the wide open spaces.

I guess, for me, it boils down to trying to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible so that when that split-second opportunity presents itself I can be successful in taking that buck, bull, etc.

A couple of my hunting buddies shoot factory rifles with lower-end optics. They also miss more than I do. And they are not comfortable shooting at longer ranges.

In conclusion, we could argue all day the "factory vs custom" question. I understand both sides.But that question has already been asked and answered. I'm building a gun. So the input on what components/caliber is greatly appreciated.

And btw Bear, the .300 RUM might be overkill on deer at 500 yds. But not elk. Those SOB's have soaked up enough lead in my presence and kept on going that they have made a believer out of me...and seeing one run far enough to fall off the back side of the mountain - resulting in hours more in retrieval time - has affected my decision on what's "enough" in foot/lbs of energy for them suckers. I want DRT!
(and guys please don't talk about bullet placement...your preaching to the choir).

Oh, and I already have hunting guns in calibers that will push 130 to 160 grain bullets...I am specifically looking to build a gun on the heavy side this time. And yes, I have read everything O'Conner wrote about the .270 and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with mine if he was inside 300 yds and in a place where I didn't need him DRT.

And I'm trying to shed a few pounds too...but a heavy gun is still a heavy gun.:cool:

I like the Browning X-Bolt a lot, and Browning is doing several interesting model variations in that rifle. I love some of the maple-stocked models.

Yeah, I probably should have send the link to the long range model, a little heavier at 7.3 lbs in .300 WSM, but likely worth it with the heavier barrel profile.
http://www.browning.com/products/fi...roduction/x-bolt-hells-canyon-long-range.html

I have no need for a .300 WSM, but I love the pro model in 6.5 CM with Carbon Fiber Stock, fluted bolt, bolt knob and lapped barrel. It looks a ton better in person than in pictures as it is a semi transparent bronze cerakote sprayed over the top of the carbon fiber. It looks really cool.
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/current-production/x-bolt-pro.html

cq5dam.web.835.835 (1).jpeg
cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Yeah, I probably should have send the link to the long range model, a little heavier at 7.3 lbs in .300 WSM, but likely worth it with the heavier barrel profile.
http://www.browning.com/products/fi...roduction/x-bolt-hells-canyon-long-range.html

I have no need for a .300 WSM, but I love the pro model in 6.5 CM with Carbon Fiber Stock, fluted bolt, bolt knob and lapped barrel. It looks a ton better in person than in pictures as it is a semi transparent bronze cerakote sprayed over the top of the carbon fiber. It looks really cool.
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/current-production/x-bolt-pro.html

View attachment 1062233 View attachment 1062234

That long range model is a lot of gun for the money...if it shoots,

Back
Top Bottom