• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The perfect rifle

I harvested a nice bull elk using a .330-06, shot was 481 yards. Using a Nosler partition 210 gr bullet. Bullet went thru both shoulders and was laying in the hide. I hand loaded the rounds to get the proper powder burn rate to give 1/2" moa and very low standard deviations on velocity. (2810 fps)
Was using a stainless Winchester model 70 in left hand. I was completely satisfied with the gun. Gunsmith took off the 30-06 barrel and put on the match grade. Scope was Zeiss 3x9x36. Distance was determined using rangefinder.

Yep, I demanded a refund after sending a rifle back to them twice and having them re-barrel it once. One time the rifle came back with a target that was supposed to prove it's accuracy, but upon looking at it I discovered there was load data on the sheet. When asked about it they couldn't explain it, but said it was probably something left over from one of their employees working up a load for their personal rifle. My belief is that the groups were also created by the personal rifle, not mine.

The only way I got the refund was to tell them I was going to fly out to them and watch as they printed the groups they said the rifle was capable of and would expect them to reimburse me for my travel and time, as well as the rifle, if they couldn't do that. I got a check in the mail shortly after that.

Thank you for saving me from making a $2K mistake!!

Speaking of barrel length for accuracy. I put a 18 inch bull barrel in the AR10 I built. I use a shilen blank worked over by Rainier Arms. I was one of their Ultramatch jobs. That barrel is the most accurate bug bore gun I have ever shot. I will empty a 10 round clip all in the same hole. Well touching each other but not a big ragged hole. A small, maybe the size of a quarter with 10 shots. There might just be something to that shorter barrel hypothesis. For sure the harmonics would be more stable.
I just went with the 18 inch bull barrel to keep dow weight on my AR10, make it more maneuverable. I had a 24 inch bull barrel AR10 and it was a tank. the accuracy was not a precise as well. I wouldn't worry about having the absolute longest barrel you can get unless you plan on precision competition shooting. Or you plan on taking game at 800-900 yards. My 18 inch will ring steel at 600 every time. This is one of those guns you don't want shooting back at you in a fire fighe. HE HE HE! It's sporting a more tactical scope on it now but you get the idea.

Attachments

• CAM00443.jpg
    CAM00443.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13
  • CAM00442.jpg
    CAM00442.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 15
Speaking of barrel length for accuracy. I put a 18 inch bull barrel in the AR10 I built. I use a shilen blank worked over by Rainier Arms. I was one of their Ultramatch jobs. That barrel is the most accurate bug bore gun I have ever shot. I will empty a 10 round clip all in the same hole. Well touching each other but not a big ragged hole. A small, maybe the size of a quarter with 10 shots. There might just be something to that shorter barrel hypothesis. For sure the harmonics would be more stable.
I just went with the 18 inch bull barrel to keep dow weight on my AR10, make it more maneuverable. I had a 24 inch bull barrel AR10 and it was a tank. the accuracy was not a precise as well. I wouldn't worry about having the absolute longest barrel you can get unless you plan on precision competition shooting. Or you plan on taking game at 800-900 yards. My 18 inch will ring steel at 600 every time. This is one of those guns you don't want shooting back at you in a fire fighe. HE HE HE! It's sporting a more tactical scope on it now but you get the idea.
Every precision bolt .308 I have, and have had, is 18". Most of them shoot 168g GMM at just over 2500 fps at 70 degrees. I rarely get out past 600 yards and it's all I need. I love the accuracy, the handling and the compact length even when suppressed. And in .308 the 18" length still has a fairly low report for those times I want to use it while hunting. I do aim to break the shoulders though, as 2300 fps at 100 yards is just not enough for hydrostatic shock. I honestly think .308 is just a mediocre big game round.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ok guys. I have had a real curveball thrown at me. I had pretty much decided on .30 Nosler or .300 RUM in Defiance Deviant or Stiller Predator action, Manners stock and Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel...and a Jewell trigger.

While at my LGS shop I called Proof Research to talk to them about barrel contour and length.

After explaining my intended uses for the gun the guy on the phone asks me if I want to know what his current elk gun is that he took a nice bull with last fall.

Now, I'm talking to a guy who lives in Montana and works for a high end barrel and custom gun manufacturer...

So, of course, I'm all ears. He says that his current gun that he LOVES and took a bull with last year was .300 Win mag.
No surprise there...it's a classic elk caliber much loved by western hunters.

The surprise was when he told me that the barrel was 20".

And it was suppressed.

And that he would never hunt with a gun again without a suppressor! And that all his buddies who shot it were building or buying guns set up for a suppressor.

When I asked why...he obviously talked about the noise reduction but more about the felt recoil reduction and accuracy. In his opinion - verified by chronograph in the company basement - chopping a .300 WM from 24" to 20" only cost him about 110fps in muzzle velocity and that 40 fps were GAINED back by the suppressor.
With some faster burning powder he thought he could get almost back to 24" velocity. And in his opinion (which after some more research is shared by many) the shorter barrel was stiffer and MORE accurate than the longer barrel.

Now the reason this really caught my attention is that I have a very nice .30 cal suppressor that should come out of jail next week. It is 8.2" long and weighs 18 oz's. So I am doing the math. 6.5 lb rifle in .300 WM (Proof bbl, Manners, Defiance rebel or deviant action) with 3 lbs allocated to scope and suppressor...and I have a suppressed, accurate carry rifle that will slay 1,000 lb game at 500 yds.

What say ye?

(Oh and I checked with suppressor manufacturer....300 Win Mag is ok. .300 RUM is not. Forgot to ask about .300 WSM)

Actually, the thing I have not figured out is the balance of this gun. With a suppressor making the total barrel length 28.25 in...and the suppressor slightly over 1 lb...if I make the stock and action light enough to get the gun at 6.5 lbs...will it be too barrel heavy?

Or am I just over-thinking this? :pop2:

I run a Sandman S or Sandman Ti on pretty much all my rifles and I don't have anything over 22". All my .308 guns are 18". I much prefer a shorter barrel. However, I can't speak to long actions. Yes my velocities do go up approximately 25 fps suppressed. Accuracy is really unchanged although I guess it is possible that on some guns it could effect the barrel harmonics in a positive way. Recoil is definitely reduced.

A custom rifle is great if that's what you want, but it is not necessary for killing elk at 500 yards. You could use a $1k set up, rifle, scope and all and do just fine. Heck, you don't even have to spend $1k. I completely understand if you want a new rifle, though.

Back
Top Bottom