The Risks Of Not Riding A Motorcycle

There was another much better written article maybe a year ago. Think it was called 'you're doing to kill yourself. Like what your mother and friends would tell you.
It's point was that many things are dangerous and you are missing out on a lot if don't do it. The author did respect them though!
That said 2 friends have had accidents this year. Both had a car make a left turn in front of them.
I'm gonna increase my dirt to asphalt ratio.

P5300328-XL.jpg

not riding ..as a friend of mine says..its therapy for the mind..he has broken just about every bone in is body on a motorcycle....he was depressed and then started riding again..problem solved.. it not about the risks..its about the freedom

And unfortunately many folks don't understand, nor will they ever understand about that freedom. You have to experience it to understand it.

Both had a car make a left turn in front of them.
THAT is the blasted problem. I can control myself (and did for 30 years). It's the ones we can NOT control that are the problem. A guy drunk straightening out a curve and becoming one with a tree going triple digits on his bike causes absolutely zero emotion for me. An idiot texting and making a left in front of some guy on his bike trying to get home from work makes my blood boil!

I prefer to increase my Track to Street ratio when I can. Go fast safe. Some ***hat ended that for me in January though when he rear ended my truck and his ins. company didn't give me enough to replace it. ended up selling the track bike to fund a new truck. Haven't been able to get in as much riding time as I'd have liked to this year, but at least I got some ride time in. I've had a couple near misses where someone has decided they want my portion of road more than I do, but thankfully I've always been aware enough and untrusting enough of my surroundings that I've been able to avoid most of them. Save for one jack that came around a blind turn in my lane a couple years ago. I took my bike through the woods to avoid being a hood ornament. Ended up with some cuts and bruises and a broken mirror on my CL360 but I got up and rode away.. mfer didn't even slow down to see if I was okay. Just glad I missed all the trees.

I've lost a couple of friends to Motorcycle accidents over the years, Sadly its always been rider error involved. One who was not speeding but was going a little fast for the corner on the street hit a patch of gravel in a blind right hander and ended up under a 350Z. broke his neck and died instantly. While I mourn the loss of my friend, I feel equally if not a little more badly for the poor kid (he was only 19 I believe, its been a few years) who was driving the Z responsibly and has to live with the fact that he was involved in a wreck where someone died, even though he was not at fault. That would mess with me, a lot.

The other was riding when he shouldn't have been and was too tired to be on the dragon after having driven all night from Chicago to be there, he should have waited til the next day. but he was just going to make a slow run. Witnesses said he was probably the slowest vehicle on the road at the time but he ended up mis judging a curve and went off the side of the mountain and hit a tree.

Its really sad to me when it was rider error that could have easily been avoided. I love deals gap, the skyway, and blue ridge as much as anybody. But they aren't a race track. The second rider wasn't treating it as such, but the first was probably close. He was on 28 where its marked 55mph and it was estimated he was doing 45, but he was on one of the 15mph sharp corners. If he was on the track I doubt he would have went down. He was an excellent rider. But the street is not a clean prepared surface and cant always hold up to the pace that you can ride under proper circumstances..

Sorry, I derailed that train hard. But I wouldn't give up my motorcycle for much. Though some days lately its looked like I might have to give it up temporarily to keep afloat..

In 1960 I bought my first bike, a 1958 BMW R69. In 1963, I rode it to Panama and back...I was 17. Pushing 70, I have to tel my wife, I am not dead yet. here are my current rides, all equally dubious with regard to safety. I would rather die on one of these than in my lazyboy.

Attachments

• goldwing2.jpg
    goldwing2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FJR.JPG
    FJR.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Moses.JPG
    Moses.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 20
IMG_0083.JPG

I rode from 78 until 81 when I totaled my bike on HWY 78 after hitting a dog at night and was pretty beaten up. Life, children and my career just sidelined me for a while. In 2007, after 26 years, I bought an 85 Gold Wing and it was pure Heaven. I'm much less stressed when I ride regularly than when I don't.

As far as focus and freedom, it's hard to explain to other people. My 27 year old started riding last year and is totally committed. It takes me close to the same place as I go when target shooting. Sort of a Zen thing. Everything else just fades away. Wife took the picture over my shoulder on a ride last year.

Love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom