• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think weed is harmless?

My whole thought is, that I don't care if it is harmless, dangerous, deadly, violent, etc. The constitution does not grant the federal government the authority to regulate it, and as such, I don't want the federal government doing so. If a state's constitution grants the state government the authority to regulate it, have at it at the state level.

All that said, prohibition of ANYTHING has never once in the history of humans worked to prevent the doing of whatever the thing being prohibited is. Government prohibition does nothing to curb the use of that thing, but does create an illegal, violent, profitable market for criminals to engage in the production, transportation, and distribution of said prohibited thing. The crime from that criminal market is ALWAYS more violent and damaging than the thing being prohibited.

I don't understand the thinking of wanting the government to step in and exercise authority over you that it doesn't have, and wanting to create a violent criminal market for something that you and the government will never be able to prevent.

It's borderline mental illness.
Do you think this philosophy should only apply to products/goods, or should it extend to behavior/actions?

Do you think this philosophy should only apply to products/goods, or should it extend to behavior/actions?

It's not a philosophy. It's the United States Constitution and I expect the federal government to operate inside the authority granted to them by it, even though they have operated WAY outside of that authority for far longer than I have been alive.

I am not so naive to think it will ever be any different in my lifetime, but I am certainly not going to lobby for them to usurp authority not granted to them by our founding document for any reason, whether I agree with them or not.

It's not a philosophy. It's the United States Constitution and I expect the federal government to operate inside the authority granted to them by it, even though they have operated WAY outside of that authority for far longer than I have been alive.

I am not so naive to think it will ever be any different in my lifetime, but I am certainly not going to lobby for them to usurp authority not granted to them by our founding document for any reason, whether I agree with them or not.
The Constitution absolutely IS a philosophy of governance. 100%.

The Constitution absolutely IS a philosophy of governance. 100%.

If you are ok with the federal government exercising authority not granted to it by the constitution to tell people they can't do something you don't like, don't act indignant or surprised when the federal government exercises authority not granted to it by the constitution to tell you that you can no longer do something you enjoy doing but other people don't like.

Enjoy the authoritarian government you asked for.

You are talking about weed and I am talking about freedom. No sense in continuing this conversation.

I have zero use for weed and have no desire to be around it, but that's my choice. I fully respect you choosing to engage in whatever activities you choose so long as they don't violate the rights of others. Enjoy life, it's short and we only get one.

Back
Top Bottom