• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thinking About an SBR, need HELP

Trader Jordon

Default rank <3500 posts
Family, Faith and Freedom
251   0
Reaction score
Ok Guys, I've been throwing around the idea of doing an SBR rifle. I know little to nothing about them or the process. I've got a lower that I just picked up and it has crossed my mind again. I'm guessing when I do the SBR stamp that I only need the lower reciever to register? If this is the case what are the rules and regulations about switching out the uppers? Like if I wanted a .223 and a .300 10.5 but only wanted to do 1 lower. Any info would be appriciated.

You only need to register the lower and specify one caliber. You can change out another upper any time as long as you can show intent to go back to the original upper. Such as if you register as a 5.56/.223 you can use a .300 as long as you have the means to go back to a .223/5.56.

Register the lower and then you can put anything you want on the top, so long as you keep your original configuration available.

If you're looking at uppers, AAC makes a good one, but I like Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) with their new quick change barrels.

Yea, the lower is currently stripped and was going to SBR it now, I'm going to set it up as 5.56 but wanted to get a .22LR and .300 Blackout upper as well to toss around. Do I need to complete the lower first or can I leave it stripped for now?

You only need to register the lower and specify one caliber. You can change out another upper any time as long as you can show intent to go back to the original upper. Such as if you register as a 5.56/.223 you can use a .300 as long as you have the means to go back to a .223/5.56.

This. If you plan on getting rid of original configuration, send them a change request otherwise, don't bother as long as you don't sell the NFA lower. You can switch length and caliber all you want. If you plan to sell it, make sure the config you're selling matches the one at NFA registry or else it willl be denied.

Probably get this moved to Class 3 section.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom