• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about repowering my boat.

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
I currently have a Mercury 60 HP motor on my boat and it runs great just like a brand new one. Less than 75 hours on the motor so it should. It will do 35 mph on the water which is plenty fast enough. But here recently I have been considering getting a Yamaha outboard in the 115 range. Why? Because I love yamaha anything. They are simply reliable. So a bigger motor and going from a 2cycle to a 4 stroke. Thing is I can't seem to make up my mind. Do I really want to spend 10k on a new motor on a boat that is 12 years old? Granted my boat looks like it is brand new. The guy I got it from only put 50 hours on it and I have only put 25. What would it do to the value of the boat? New 2015 Yamaha 10k dollar engine and a 2003 boat. What would it be worth?

Maybe I should just use the 60 until it quits? What would you do?

This is the boat. It looks brand new.

IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG

Nice looking boat BP. 4 stroke is the way to go, but in your case, if you can do 35 I would leave it like it is..That is if you are happy with the boat..Just my 2 cents.

Nice looking boat BP. 4 stroke is the way to go, but in your case, if you can do 35 I would leave it like it is..That is if you are happy with the boat..Just my 2 cents.
Thanks bro. I love it. Yeah even if I did get a bigger motor I wouldn't push it past 35 because there is just way to much stuff floating in the water like trees and such. Doing 60 on the water is a bad idea to me. I haven't seen many lakes where there aren't trees and logs floating all over the place.

No way I'd do that.
If I really just had to have that much power (which I don't), I'd find a boat with a bigger motor and sell mine and be way more than $10k ahead of the game.
I really like the boat especially the colors. A lot of boats out there are just way to dark in color to fish all day comfortably on. Like a red or black deck gets hot during the summer. Boats I like are simply hard to find. Which is why I thought about getting a new motor on the one I like partly.

Mainly I am just curious as to what would happen to the value with a older boat and a new motor.

I really like the boat especially the colors. A lot of boats out there are just way to dark in color to fish all day comfortably on. Like a red or black deck gets hot during the summer. Boats I like are simply hard to find. Which is why I thought about getting a new motor on the one I like partly.

Mainly I am just curious as to what would happen to the value with a older boat and a new motor.
It's not going to hurt the value but it's sure not going to go up $10k. If you were in the market for a new engine, would you want it sitting on a 12 year old hull?
Are you just wanting a 4 stroke? I can appreciate that. What do you figure you can sell yours for? Not sure why this guy doesn't fix the little things he mentions (terrible marketing) but it looks nice and wouldn't be hot. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/5043106963.html

Back
Top Bottom