Thinking of getting my first suppressor

Biggest key, look into the manufacturers, don't skip the little guys!
A lot is going on. So many of the little guys are focusing on db's and weight! Don't let price scare you, it's all about materials and quality!

Sound reduction is overrated, imo, compared to general usability and light weight.

Knowing what I know now, I would have put more weight in the weight.

So many of the little guys are focusing on db's and weight! Don't let price scare you, it's all about materials and quality!

This is great, thank you all. So besides decibels I should compare weight, usability, materials, cleaning, quality and even the company itself.

Picking a suppressor is a very painful process.

Yes it's such a 'permanent' type purchase!

This is great, thank you all. So besides decibels I should compare weight, usability, materials, cleaning, quality and even the company itself.

Yes it's such a 'permanent' type purchase!

Yes all of that some things will just carry more weight. For instance; Cleanability isn't that big of a deal to me for 2 reasons. A.) Centerfire rifle cans (.30cal, 5.56, etc.) Are generally user serviceable, meaning there isn't anything you can really do to clean internally. This is not an issue tho as these calibers typically burn fast and clean (relatively speaking) so carbon buildup will be relatively negligible. B.) On .22lr or rimfire cans, cleaning is a factor. These are user serviceable and most have a system of stacking baffles that are keyed to only assemble one way. I made sure to go with stainless baffles so I can toss them in my tumbler with steel media and it will be as good as new in a few minutes.

Be sure to check what length barrels they can handle. I shoot sbr's a good bit and the shorter they get the hotter so they all have guidelines for barrel length. For my .30 can I personally figured if it was rated to .300RUM, belt fed rated and could shoot 5.56 down to 7.5" barrels, then quality and durability wouldn't be an issue. And it's not, but the tradeoff is a can, in it's longest configuration is about a pound, which you don't think is much but it adds up.

I just put two cans in jail recently. both were Dead Air- a Mask 22 and a 45 Ghost-M. I will mostly shoot 9mm with the Ghost and don't think it gives up much to the 9mm, plus I have a threaded 45 and will see if I can shoot 44 specials thru it as well. I'm looking into 30 cal cans right now, Dead Air/Rugged/SilencerCo all seem to be the top companies these days (add Thunderbeast if you are considering rifle cans). Hard to go wrong with items from any of them.

Look around for deals and see what options are out there and what works well on your setups. IF you are running something with an odd threading, make sure you can get an adapter for it. I know rugged is running some promos right now, not sure who else is.

Quite a few shops around ATL now carry NFA stuff- Bullseye in Lawrenceville, Martins in Alpharetta, and Autreys Armory south of town all have good selection. And of course Quiet Riot in McDonough. I'm sure there are more but these tend to have a good selection of a variety of manufacturers.

Welcome to the addiction!!! I can't remember when I didn't have anything waiting to transfer, it's a continuous wait....forever.....lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dumb question from a dumb old guy....Why don't you just buy a .45 can, and then you can shoot everything thru it, all the way "down" to .22??? Seems like you only need 1 can, a biggun that will handle all calibers. What am I missing??

Dumb question from a dumb old guy....Why don't you just buy a .45 can, and then you can shoot everything thru it, all the way "down" to .22??? Seems like you only need 1 can, a biggun that will handle all calibers. What am I missing??

the biggest issue is 22lr. It's super dirty and will make a mess of the full size cans. Some larger diameter cans aren't designed to be opened like a 22 can as you need to clean the 22 cans every few hundred to 1k rounds. Plus they are heavier than a 22 can.

My plan is to start with three cans- a 22lr because they typically are very different from the other caliber cans (lighter, easier to disassemble, etc), a pistol can that will do 300BO subs if I want to go that route, and then a 30 caliber can that will do more rifle duty.

but if you just wanted 2, you could do a multi caliber rifle can, and a 22lr can and be done. It would just be heavier than you might want to stick on the end of a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom