This came slithering up to my wife in her flower area this past Saturday.

Man! Indigo snakes are the coolest to me. They can get 7-8’!! And are officially badass, they have been known to kill and eat Rattlers. Where are you located? That is a very nice find. Much respect for you sir. Very lucky too.

Agree. How do you safely stop it from moving so you can reach behind its head and grab it ?
Be quick and pin it to the ground without injuring it. I've been bitten before. Some wild snakes are not aggressive and will let you handle them. Corn snakes are very docile and a beautiful snake. The last two I caught were together under a piece of tin and about 4' each. They won't even attempt to strike you.

While skinning out a 5' diamond back rattle snake with it's head removed I was struck. I had the headless snake on it's back and when I drove in the sharp point of the knife the snakes nerves automatically struck my forearm with the stub of the bloody neck before I could move. I yelled loudly and nearly had to change my shorts. I knew the head was off but still.

Rattle snakes are tough and I've seen the bones and meat move 3hrs after removing the head.

Man! Indigo snakes are the coolest to me. They can get 7-8’!! And are officially badass, they have been known to kill and eat Rattlers. Where are you located? That is a very nice find. Much respect for you sir. Very lucky too.
Camden County near Florida border.

While skinning out a 5' diamond back rattle snake with it's head removed I was struck. I had the headless snake on it's back and when I drove in the sharp point of the knife the snakes nerves automatically struck my forearm with the stub of the bloody neck before I could move. I yelled loudly and nearly had to change my shorts. I knew the head was off but still.
Ouch. That is crazy. Thanks. Stay safe.

Be quick and pin it to the ground without injuring it. I've been bitten before. Some wild snakes are not aggressive and will let you handle them. Corn snakes are very docile and a beautiful snake. The last two I caught were together under a piece of tin and about 4' each. They won't even attempt to strike you.

Rattle snakes are tough and I've seen the bones and meat move 3hrs after removing the head.
I’ve only caught 2 corn snakes, got bit by both. By and large, water snakes have had the nastiest of temperaments in my experience.

Many Non-venomous snakes will flatten out their heads to appear to be venomous. This is definitely not a fool proof way of telling.
They do that to fool other animals who might eat them. Any human who has any knowledge of snakes wouldn't be fooled by it. A pit viper has something pretty distinctive on their head to let you know they are dangerous. They are called pits. Non venomous snakes don't have them. To my knowledge there is only one venomous snake in North America that is not a pit viper and that is a coral snake.
Maybe I should have said one look at the head instead of "one look at the shape of the head".

Back
Top Bottom