• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on BMW Cars...

Lets here yours. I've had a '90 Accord for almost 11 years and its been a fantastic and reliable vehicle but it's beginning to become a bit of a hoopty. I've kept it painted and stock to avoid needless police interference but it's also hard to pick up a date in. So its time for something different. I've never looked at BMW's but I couldn't believe how cheap the used ones are! I'm looking for a newer used vehicle primarily for an airport car but one I can also take out on the weekends. I will be maintaining this vehicle myself all the way down to the alignment if needed. Are they dependable cars? Any widespread nightmares with certain models I should stay away from? I see a '98 model on the trader with over 300k miles on it... and I've always thought B'mers were tough looking cars but never realized how inexpensive the used ones are. So whats your favorite year/model and why? Here's one that caught my eye...(if the top is all it really needs it sounds like a deal)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4871569786.html

I have a BMW 525i, I bought it used with 60,000 miles. The car looks OUTSTANDING, I bought it for my son to go to and from school, ( My son re-fused the Car) Said, Up keep was to High!! . DO NOT BUY USED HIGH END CARS, unless you know the prievous OWNER! the Mainteance cost will keep YOU in the POOR house!!! I have put Over$10,000 in the USED CAR!!. I needed another car last week since, I hit the Shooting range often. My wife said I could NOT pick the Car since my last 3 Car buying trips have netted us 2 lexus, and a BMW. Yes, I SUCK in buying vehicles. But, with a Pre-Approved loan for $60,000. I told my wife that we need a Truck maybe a Ford F-150. She said ok, she came back witha Nissan Rouge!!! Enough said!!! DONT BUY USED HIGH END vehicles!!!!

I dunno man. I'm browsing AutoZone for a 2005 525I (just picked one) and parts are very reasonable (yes I know they're not OEM parts) but still. Everything is running 20-30%ish more than what I'm already paying for parts. I think if I stay in the thresh hold of 2002-2007, aftermarket parts should be mostly available, reasonably priced and of course the initial cost of the vehicle won't be that bad. I'm mostly talking out of my butt right now though. My research is in it's very early stages. Very encouraged by what I'm seeing for sale though. A lot of cars with very high mileage and minimal problems.
Is it that you like the look of them,or wanting to step up in style to impress...just wondering pay the extra money for a used Mercedes you will be much happier much better built than the rich kid starter cars ,again not hating on them just not well made although better than say..a dodge! go to consumer reports long term and or try to rent one before you buy it.....but its sounds like you have got your mind made up on it oh and when you replace the water pump you need the water pump wrench and its left hand thread if you do it yourself! or you could pay 600$ for certified service or you could pay 1200$ for non certified and do it twice>_

Is it that you like the look of them,or wanting to step up in style to impress...just wondering pay the extra money for a used Mercedes you will be much happier much better built than the rich kid starter cars ,again not hating on them just not well made although better than say..a dodge! go to consumer reports long term and or try to rent one before you buy it.....but its sounds like you have got your mind made up on it oh and when you replace the water pump you need the water pump wrench and its left hand thread if you do it yourself! or you could pay 600$ for certified service or you could pay 1200$ for non certified and do it twice>_

I'm not even close to making up my mind. I've been looking at Audi's, Honda's, Acura's, and I briefly looked at Merc's but I'm not familiar with them at all (model types). I'm not the type to impress. You'd know that very quickly if you met me. Very familiar with removing fan clutches. Have done many...

I'm not even close to making up my mind. I've been looking at Audi's, Honda's, Acura's, and I briefly looked at Merc's but I'm not familiar with them at all (model types). I'm not the type to impress. You'd know that very quickly if you met me. Very familiar with removing fan clutches. Have done many...
10/4 ive owned over 300 cars and not saying that to brag its just that I have had the opportunity to have that experience of owning and as a mechanic. Audi,Volkswagen are so higher maintenance, in my personal opinion...mine alone Honda,Acura,Merc,Lexus/Toyota even Volvo are better choices for long term and resale value even used they still retain there value..other than the paint on Honda/Acura being very thin, waxed often and garaged the are great cars...I currently own a Honda " 13 EX-L sport coupe same creature comforts with out the FUFU and close to same horse power.. they don't have long warranty but you just don't need to have it.. again choice is yours every one wants the best deal for the money! and that was because my wife wanted something that i didn't have to cuss over...if it was my choice i,m going old school hell with comp control cars .i like the good ole days! Good luck with your research and decision

Last edited:
10/4 ive owned over 300 cars and not saying that to brag its just that I have had the opportunity to have that experience of owning and as a mechanic ,Audi,Volkswagen are so higher maintenance, in my personal opinion...mine alone Honda,Acura,Merc,Lexus/Toyota even Volvo are better choices for long term and resale value even used they still retain there value..other than the paint on Honda/acura being very thin, waxed often and garaged the are great cars...I currently own a Honda EX-L sport coupe same creature comforts with out the FUFU and close to same horse power.. they dont have long warranty but you just dont need to have it.. again choice is yours every one wants the best deal for the money!

I gotcha Brad. I've only owned older fords (60's/70's), Hondas, and one Camaro. I worked on a Bimmer several years ago for a friend and really liked the car but didn't know much about them, hence this thread. Thumbing through Acura models right now and learning them. One thing I was looking forward to was a rwd car again. Fwd cars are fine but I just appreciate the simplicity of a rwd car. You mentioned VW... I've had friend with those things and know all too well how much attention and money they require.

Lets here yours. I've had a '90 Accord for almost 11 years and its been a fantastic and reliable vehicle but it's beginning to become a bit of a hoopty. I've kept it painted and stock to avoid needless police interference but it's also hard to pick up a date in. So its time for something different. I've never looked at BMW's but I couldn't believe how cheap the used ones are! I'm looking for a newer used vehicle primarily for an airport car but one I can also take out on the weekends. I will be maintaining this vehicle myself all the way down to the alignment if needed. Are they dependable cars? Any widespread nightmares with certain models I should stay away from? I see a '98 model on the trader with over 300k miles on it... and I've always thought B'mers were tough looking cars but never realized how inexpensive the used ones are. So whats your favorite year/model and why? Here's one that caught my eye...(if the top is all it really needs it sounds like a deal)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4871569786.html

Dude that's a chick car and a money pit.

BMW, Audi and VW are technician nightmares, much harder to work on thatn mercedes although mercedes can be a money pit especially if you don't know what you're buying.
I'm a mercedes mechanic and can give you some advice if you pm me some questions if you find one you are interested in.
There are several models and years I can tell you thumbs up or down depending on what options they have such as the dreaded SBC a braking system,( fly by wire) brakes that only take a potentiometer signal from the brake pedal and transfers that inform to an electo-hydraulic unit that becomes a nightmare of costly issues in the future.
Some engines suck, some don't.
With mercedes the more basic the better unless you have deep pockets and like to feel,special sitting in the service department waiting room more than you actually drive the car.
I have owned several american vehicles and actually they are more reliable, maybe not as overrated, luxurious and packed full'of gadgets but I'd rather replace a brake bulb every five years for $3.00 if that's the only,problem I ever have.
German car maintenance needs to be done religiously or your car will compile problems one after another.
Honda?......yes because they're cheap, good on gas and don't break unless your tire guy runs the lug bolts on with an impact gun set on #5 instead of using a friggin torque wrench.
I've got a Honda odyssey that's been an I credible vehicle as well.
It sucks on gas but it's a runner, it handles well and is a dream on the highway although the clamping force of the brakes sucks pretty bad if you need to stop quickly.
By all means pm me if you are looking at a mercedes and I'll give you my honest opinion.

My favorite personal vehicles to beat up daily are jeep cherokee sports...they go anywhere run forever but they do require some mechanical TLC and tricks to keep them running more efficient than stock.

Last edited:
I own three 3 series. Two e46 and one e90. Call me for details. I do a lot of maintenance my self. You can drive mine and talk. Mine have served me well. I might even sell you one of my e46's. PM if interested. If your mechanically inclined you should be fine.

Attachments

• 20140321_142814.jpg
    20140321_142814.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20140310_170953.jpg
    20140310_170953.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20140615_125433.jpg
    20140615_125433.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
I love my BMW's. They can be expensive. Figure out how to do it yourself or make friends with an independent shop/mechanic.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom