• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on M1 stocks

jeep78

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
36   0
Reaction score
I am in the process of fitting a Dupage stock to an M1. I am not new to this and have done 4 Boyd stocks, though that was 15 or more years ago. The Dupage stocks are also made by Boyd, though they are somewhat more true to the early M1 stocks. The original Boyd stocks, (and maybe today's stocks, don't know as I haven't bought one in 15 years) were overly large in dimension and the pistol grip area was butched off. However, the inletting was top notch, just needed a little extra work in the clip latch area.

Fast forward to today and Dupage. The inletting is poor. The receiver would not even start into the stock. This is coming from Boyd and is indicative of poor maintenance on their cutting tools. The worst offender was the bullet guide area. The bullet guide would not even enter the stock when held by itself. The pistol grip area still isn't great, but it is better than the old Boyd style.

The stock is at minimum thickness in the lockup area (after much work to get the receiver into the stock). This is troubling as this area will suffer some crush as it wears in, and there is no crush room. The older Boyds didn't have this problem.

The quality of wood is sub-par. They are obviously using rapid growth wood and the grain is not as fine as it was years ago. This is pure aesthetics, not like the poor inletting.

The proud wood in the handguards is not a problem as it was in the past, just needed to shorten the front handguard a touch to get the metal to fit right. However, the heel of the stock was about 1/4 proud and needed a lot of sanding, as well as some more sanding to even out the rest of the buttplate area. The heel is prone to bad chipping if left proud and is of particular concern.

Dupage is out of the stocks with metal, but I thought the unstained ones (like I got) would be closer to spec, I was wrong.

All in all, I won't buy from Dupage again, their product is average to sub average in my experience. While they talk a good game on their website, the product doesn't match the hype.

Boyd also makes the CMP stocks, not sure what problems are there, I would check the area around the bullet guide If I had one as this is a basic inletting area, and Boyd appears to have problems there.

If I buy another stock I am thinking about getting a Minelli.

ALso, I am taking my own advice and going to use a modern stock on my 80 year old Garand for shooting. Not going to endanger an original stock.

Am using pure tung oil, as I always have, so no buildup problems are causing any fitting problems.

Also make sure you relieve the rear inlet of the stock where the bolt travels back inside during recoil... the Heel end of the receiver... this is poorly cut or relieved... have seen bolt bounce crack several Dupage stocks in the wrist...

ALso, I am taking my own advice and going to use a modern stock on my 80 year old Garand for shooting. Not going to endanger an original stock.

Am using pure tung oil, as I always have, so no buildup problems are causing any fitting problems.
Boyds makes good hardwood stocks for the Garand but they are what are termed Korean issue type. The wood stands proud for more relief in areas like the fore end handguards...I caveat this by saying the last Boyds stock for Garand I got was 10 years ago. Your experience I guess I'll have to defer to in light of your experiences with them. I guess I'll find out. I have a 930 SPX stock and fore end coming from then in 2 weeks. Will let you know...

If the handguard area wasn't butched, I find no problems with the "Korean" type stock. Lots of time with a sander and it is GTG.

I do not like you can tell them at a glance by the grip.

Also make sure you relieve the rear inlet of the stock where the bolt travels back inside during recoil... the Heel end of the receiver... this is poorly cut or relieved... have seen bolt bounce crack several Dupage stocks in the wrist...

I will definitely check this.

Just checked a GI stock in this area, and the firing pin has been hitting it. The receiver is even relieved in this area. Never had a problem here, but it doesn't hurt to relieve the area.

If the handguard area wasn't butched, I find no problems with the "Korean" type stock. Lots of time with a sander and it is GTG.

I do not like you can tell them at a glance by the grip.
Yes....you can easily see it in the picture of the 4 Garands I had....that one has the Turner AWS sling and a neat steel Red Dot Optics sight base that replaced the original Garand sight. That company that made the sight base is out of business but it was a super design, IMO>
Garands.JPG

Back
Top Bottom