• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on shoulder holsters

Gillette

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shoulder holster. It is not necessarily what brand to buy but pros and cons, what features to look for and which ones to avoid. Thinking pretty hard about trying one for the 1911 or K frame S&W.

Well, you end up with the muzzle pointing at whoever's in the back seat, and most people cross their arm with the muzzle when drawing which can be considered a safety hazard. Good ones are expensive-- because they have a million adjustments to fit you property. Without careful adjustment, it won't conceal well or be comfortable at all.

And you have to wear a coat as a cover garment, which you can never remove. Otherwise, they're wonderful. : )

If you're serious, Galco and better. I'd start with Galco; they know how to make them right. Spend the time to get it properly adjusted, and wear it for a while. If you become a convert, you can then look at the even higher-end ones if so inclined. You'll know what you are looking for at that point. But I wouldn't spend the extra dough until I was sure I was going to keep using it. And the Galco ones are good.

Depending on barrel length, you may have to have a vertical shoulder holster... and that really is slower to draw from.

If this is for hunting, any old nylon shoulder rig will do what you need. But they won't conceal nearly as well as the good leather rigs.

FBF2E2BD-1B7C-4B3F-B966-1C0BB9AC0EFB.jpeg

I know shoulder holsters aren't for everyone but they do have positive uses and well, I just wanted one for my Beretta 92G-SG with an extended Silencer-Co threaded barrel and a Surefire X300U-B Ultra.

If Gearcraft made one, I would have been all over theirs but they did not at this time (I don't think they do even now so, @billieco here's an idea). So, last November I went on a search and to be honest wasn't pleased with any offerings until I found Matt Facas and Ares Tactical. I ordered their kydex shoulder rig in a horizontal configuration with a three mag pouch on the other side. When I asked Matt if he could make it fit the extended barrel he was more than accommodating. I sent him the barrel so he could make the fit just right and he replied that since he had a part that belonged to me that my order would go to the top of the list. He doesn't like keeping handgun parts belonging to others in his shop.

Order placed - 10/29
Barrel Received - 11/01
Holster completed and shipped - 11/08
Order Delivered - 11/10

My turn around time was about a week from the time he got my barrel until I had my new shoulder rig even though his website says there is a 5-6 week lead time. This was completely unexpected and in my opinion EXCELLENT service. I removed the webbing he added (it was OK but I wanted to use my own harness) and replaced it with a spare Miami Classic II leather harness from Galco and voila! I have a perfect custom shoulder rig....

PlqPiLNh.jpg

37OHj1gh.jpg

5hhPpn2h.jpg

The build quality is excellent. My 92G-SD locks in like it was made for it (well, it was after all). It does not require a retention strap. I am certain I will be using this holster for years to come whenever I am out in the woods or on late night dog walks in the hood. I highly recommend Matt and Ares Tactical for custom Kydex work

His list of available handgun models contains MANY Beretta models.

Beretta 92 Brig
Beretta 92FS
Beretta 92G-SD
Beretta M9
Beretta M9A1
Beretta M9A1 Compact
Beretta M9A3
Beretta PX4 Storm (Full, Compact and Sub-Compact)

Just never found one that was comfortable .... I found a cross draw while I was hunting was best, does not get in the way when you are carrying a rifle with a sling, also strong side when you're concealed carrying.....

I recently bought a Miami Classic Shoulder Holster to fit my M&P C and M&P Shield .45 when they were on sale.

I wish I had bought the Galco "Jack Ass" cause the name fits me better and the mags are not as hard to reach as the Classic. The Classic mag holder is verticle with the mags pointing down and the Jack Ass mag holders are horizontal and easier to reach for an old man.

When carrying a sidearm while rifle or shotgun hunting, I always use a shoulder holster. Any handgun on my strong side beats up my long gun when using the sling over my shoulder.
This!! I have a leather "tanker" style that I use with my hi power or 1911 commander. Not really a concealment type though as the single strap goes across the chest.
IMG_20170813_1106381_rewind.jpg

Back
Top Bottom