• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on the Mossberg MVP .308 vs Savage 11 Scout .308?

Don't worry too much about twist rate in a .308, it's a very forgiving cartridge. I've had plenty of students run 1:12" twist Remington 700's very well out past 1,000yds with 175grn ammo.

While I prefer a 1:10" myself, the 1:12" will have less spin drift. Not that big a deal, but I like to mention it.

My only complaint on the Mossberg is that it is far from the smoothest bolt action I have ever run. I smoothed it out some, gonna do a little more.

Needs some Frog Lube...on that bolt...LOL

She's well lubed! LOL

The "flutes" in the bolt have 90 degree corners and they wanna catch and grab. I half heartedly went at them with some emery and it is much better, but still not where I would like it. Going to go at them again with stones, and break the edge off the rear inside of the action.....sharp there as well.

Thinking about having the bolt body, but not the bolt head, NiB'ed when I'm done. Smooth things out a might, and add a tad of thickness.

She's well lubed! LOL

The "flutes" in the bolt have 90 degree corners and they wanna catch and grab. I half heartedly went at them with some emery and it is much better, but still not where I would like it. Going to go at them again with stones, and break the edge off the rear inside of the action.....sharp there as well.

Thinking about having the bolt body, but not the bolt head, NiB'ed when I'm done. Smooth things out a might, and add a tad of thickness.
I have heard the same complaints about the bolt ..the Ruger is much smoother (GSS)

I have one like this on the way... Snagged it for $520 shipped so will know soon if I like em or not
image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom