• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Throwing rifle powder loads with Lee pro auto disk

Clarke, you shouldnt have to crimp with the FNAR. Recoil isnt that bad to give you bullet set back in the mags. I wouldnt crimp if it was me. but YMMV.

Thanks for the advice ... but with a 4 hole turrent press ... why not!?

Position #
1) Resize and decap / cap (already decapped / trimmed / cleaned case) (If previously FL resized, I guess I could use my de-capper die here to lessen case stress)
2) Powder and flare case mouth
3) Seat Bullet ... minimal crimp
4) Controlled Factory Crimp with Crimp Die

I do love my Lee Classic Turrent Press!

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't do it. I've used the DD kit and it works great with ball powders when loading .454 and .44 mag, but I wouldn't trust it using extruded rifle powders in the amounts required by most cartridges. The rifle charging die hasn't work well for me either. Most handgun cases are of a large diameter at the case mouth, making log jamming much less likely than you'll see with smaller diameter rifle mouths. It ain't worth the risk or aggravation that I experienced setting up the rifle charging for the .223.

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't do it. I've used the DD kit and it works great with ball powders when loading .454 and .44 mag, but I wouldn't trust it using extruded rifle powders in the amounts required by most cartridges. The rifle charging die hasn't work well for me either. Most handgun cases are of a large diameter at the case mouth, making log jamming much less likely than you'll see with smaller diameter rifle mouths. It ain't worth the risk or aggravation that I experienced setting up the rifle charging for the .223.

So, you expect that we will run into the same problems with extruded powders in a .30 Caliber pipe that you ran into with the .223 ...
I wouldn't argue with that ... However, I would like to find a solution to the original question (if there is one.... that works!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom