• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tipping: I can't be the only one, right?

Back in the day, lived out in the country outside Athens. No cable, so went to local bar to watch Braves, no over the air signal.

Especially in the spring, prom season, college students would be bringing in their sweet young things for dinner at the adjoining restaurant.

Big thing at the time was White Russians, and of course, the ever popular screwdrivers -

So sweet young thing, to show how worldly she was, growing up in Hahira and all, would order a Stoli White Russian or screwdriver. Of course, young Mr. Studly was paying the bill, so he wasn't going to say anything.

I'm sitting at the bar watching the ball game, and NEVER did Stoli go in one of those drinks. In fact a lot of times, Stoli didn't even go in the bottles. Bottles don't wear out.
Man I hate it when you order a "Jack & Ginger" and they pour some well brand like Early Times thinking I won't be able to tell the difference. LOL. I've been a Jack Daniels guy for 44 years.

That's why their canned email reply was all the more insulting. I watched the bartender use a 2 oz. jigger and pour both of us exactly a 2 oz. pour. The bar there is strictly to service the restaurant, I get it. The bars we go to specifically to drink have bartenders we know and free pour and we know it's always a hair over 2 oz. Those bartenders are tipped (well) accordingly.
That place has really changed in 20 years. It used to be affordable, good, and available. It is now none of those three. And they wouldn't have DARED up-charged you for a drink then. Now it's customary.

images (6).jpeg

Back
Top Bottom