• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tipping: I can't be the only one, right?

And I know a lot of people do that and a lot of wait staff do....but that bothers me even more because now, I paid the tax on the money that I'm giving you tax free....all because BigRestaur and FedGov got together on a deal to screw both me and the waitstaff over so that they could make more money.
It’s not tax free, if they make sa minimum the govt assumes they make tips and taxes that whether they make tips or not. BS

I absolutely refuse to tip anyone, anywhere other than the wait staff at a restaurant. And I honestly don't even like doing it there. "Tipping" is a public subsidy. The federal government allows restaurateurs to pay wait staff less than minimum wage and we subsidize the rest of their pay. It's not about honoring work ethic or about showing off. It's 100% a reminder that the federal government is OK with people being paid less than they should because they can get us to cover the difference in tips....which then becomes taxed twice. Once when I got it and again when I give it as a tip. The whole thing pisses me off.

And so now hair dressers want a tip? Uber drivers? Lawn care guys? The girl behind the register at Moe's? Uh, no...kick rocks, nerds.

I heard Marc Arum doing a whole show on this the other day and it just drove me crazy. People were calling in talking about how they tip tow truck drivers and plumbers and all manner of ridiculousness. Why on Earth would I "tip" a plumber? You fixed the pooper. I paid you. Pound sand. I'm not giving you a tip.

Please tell me I'm not alone on this. :ranger:
I hope you don't eat at the same restaurant frequently... unless it is McDonalds and you expect their "secret sauce" :puke:

odt non tippers.jpg

:)

After the “mandatory tips” email, and since we know what days Deer Park Mountian delivers, we simply set empties outside by the door that morning and keep door locked all day and go retrieve full’s after they’ve gone. Zero interaction needed.
Have you noticed your water tasting differently since you started this practice?

"Tipping" is a public subsidy. The federal government allows restaurateurs to pay wait staff less than minimum wage and we subsidize the rest of their pay. It's not about honoring work ethic or about showing off. It's 100% a reminder that the federal government is OK with people being paid less than they should because they can get us to cover the difference in tips....which then becomes taxed twice. Once when I got it and again when I give it as a tip. The whole thing pisses me off.
I won't disagree with the subsidy characterization but I don't know if you've thought this through. What if waiters were subject to the same minimum wage laws?
1) What do you think would happen with menu prices?
2) Do you REALLY want minimum wage earnings serving you food?

I suspect people's propensity to tip is tied to whether or not they ever held a job that relied on tips. My first job in high school was as a dishwasher. The wait staff put a certain amount of their tips in a pool and split it with the rest of the staff, even the barely 15 year old who was scrubbing burned cheese off of nacho plates at 2a.m.
I tipped the woman who cut my hair yesterday. I don't have much hair left and I appreciate her pretending I do. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom