• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

tips for new shooters to keep from getting hurt

lindab

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I am new to shooting and I'm sure there must be more than me. I have a revolver so I think it might have less issues than pistols but I don't know. I have heard of missfires causing problems if you try to shoot again and the bullet did not roll around to another. What kind of things can happen that you need to be aware of that can cause the gun to hurt you? What kind of tips can you give a new shooter?
Thanks

I am new to shooting and I'm sure there must be more than me. I have a revolver so I think it might have less issues than pistols but I don't know. I have heard of missfires causing problems if you try to shoot again and the bullet did not roll around to another. What kind of things can happen that you need to be aware of that can cause the gun to hurt you? What kind of tips can you give a new shooter?
Thanks

Number one is do your research. Women and men that have no knowledge of firearms walk intoa gunstore looking for the cheapest gun money can buy. They walk out with a gun they think is an excellent purchase and find out they bought a piece of junk. Number Two is use reputable ammunition and the ammunition reccomended for use in your gun. If you're gun won't shoot +p, don't load it full of +p+ defense ammo. Number three, read your manual and get to know your gun inside and out. I had the priveledge of watching wills female gun course and a majority of females did not take the time to get to know their gun prior to the course. Granted that's what the course revolves around, but at the same time, reading your manual and spending time with your gun can teach you more than any instructor can. Getting a gun for protection is false sense of security if you're not a hundred percent familiar with it. Even before my fiance took her course I spent a lot of time with her showing her how to break the gun down, how to clean it, different types of malfunctions and how to clear them, how to look for ammo etc. One thing that can cause a lot of feeding issues is having an improper grip. If you're not inclined enough on pistols I would seriously seek professional firearms training by willr1 or protective measures. Watching the course I seen a lot of women that had guns that if they had to use them in a self defense situation, were more dangerous than them being unarmed. Granted as I said, it's the point of the course, but just like anything else in life, take the time to know what you have. A gun is only a tool, and only useful if you know how to use and maintain y our tool.

I applaud you for asking upfront for advice on shooting safely. My best advice is to either go with an experienced shooter or visit a range that is friendly to newcomers in order to get 1 on 1 attention. Starting with good fundamentals of safety is key.

Thanks

I am going to take a course and I am not going to carry until I have taken it. I have read the manual and I have cleaned and serviced the LCR. What I am looking for is the unexpected that can and does happen that an inexperienced shooter might miss and not catch until something bad happens. One of my problems in life is wanting to know too much about too much. My husband is ill and I can't leave right now to take any training so I am doing the best I can with learning by watching and asking. He just isn't able to help me with this and won't be able to. I have found that most people just don't want to take time to answer. Thank you for doing that.

Last edited:
First and foremost, don't listen to everything you read of the Internet. Find some good reliable sources for extra info. Be safe and have fun! There are a few people on here such as PROTECTIVE MEASURES, who teach classes on firearm basics and could steer you in the right direction as well!! Its an awesome hobby and is completely fun and safe if to are educated on the basic safety and handling concepts.

all guns are loaded, even if they are not. Point it away from anything your not trying to shoot. +1 on Monty with protective measures. he is a good man and I'm sure runs a good class, trying to get my wife to attend one now.

The 10 commandments of gun safety is probably in your owners manual. My kids were required to memorize them before taking possession of their first BB guns, as was I as a young man and now I'm sure the same lesson will be passed to my grandsons. I would make a friendly recommendation that you do the same.

I have a lot of ladies classes going on right now... during the week & on the weekend as well.

If you are unable to attend any of those I would be glad to speak with you privately at no charge to get you started on the right track.

To begin with, I think you made an excellent choice of gun to start with.
We use LCR's extensively in our classes. I picked up another one last week in .22 caliber to use as a training gun for students.

I would be glad to help you in any way that I can.
My number is 706-980-0668.
I train full-time so you can call any time that is convenient.

I have a lot of ladies classes going on right now... during the week & on the weekend as well.

If you are unable to attend any of those I would be glad to speak with you privately at no charge to get you started on the right track.

To begin with, I think you made an excellent choice of gun to start with.
We use LCR's extensively in our classes. I picked up another one last week in .22 caliber to use as a training gun for students.

I would be glad to help you in any way that I can.
My number is 706-980-0668.
I train full-time so you can call any time that is convenient.

Thanks man, I was going to suggest to her that she contact you, I had a feeling that you would offer to help her given her sitiuation. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom