• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

tips for new shooters to keep from getting hurt

I am right hand. I can push the button on the side of the LCR with my right thumb ok to reload. I haven't invested in any speed loaders yet and just manually reload. What had concerned me was something I read about a bullet being stuck in the barrel and if the person had not been paying attention and fired another shot the gun might have exploded.

I saw a youtube on how not to fire a revolver showing holding a piece of paper beside the revolver and what the gass coming out of the chamber can do. I was just looking for things that have happened to other people to be aware of so I didn't make the same mistake. I know how to grip the gun, load and unload and clean it. I practice dry firing a lot but because I live with close neighbors on one side I don't shoot at home much, they have small children. I can't really get to a range right now because of my husband so I will wait until I have some training before carrying.

I am right hand. I can push the button on the side of the LCR with my right thumb ok to reload. I haven't invested in any speed loaders yet and just manually reload. What had concerned me was something I read about a bullet being stuck in the barrel and if the person had not been paying attention and fired another shot the gun might have exploded.

I saw a youtube on how not to fire a revolver showing holding a piece of paper beside the revolver and what the gass coming out of the chamber can do. I was just looking for things that have happened to other people to be aware of so I didn't make the same mistake. I know how to grip the gun, load and unload and clean it. I practice dry firing a lot but because I live with close neighbors on one side I don't shoot at home much, they have small children. I can't really get to a range right now because of my husband so I will wait until I have some training before carrying.

As far as a round getting stuck in the chamber, It's not gonna be one of those questionable things. You're going to notice severely reduced recoil, a light report, and the fact that you completely missed your target. If you hear a round that seemed like it was very quiet and didn't kick much, immediately drop the cyclinder and check your bore for obstructions.

Protective Measure
I have added your website to my favorites so when I can take the time I plan on taking your course. It is not that far from where I live and I think it will really help. I don't plan on carrying until I am properly trained but I do want to learn. Thanks so much for you concern and interest.

I had a group of new shooters out today w/ no history at all in the use of firearms.

I know it can be intimidating but with your receptive mindset you will probably become proficient quickly.

I very much appreciate your sensitivity to the fact that instruction is not my "hobby" but rather how I make my living.
However most of us who do this for a living don't just do it for the money because the pay isn't that great.
There is a lot of satisfaction in helping others to become confident & competent in the use of a firearm that might be used to save their life.

I wouldn't mind spending a few minutes with you going over some basic safety rules & simple operations of your gun at no charge when its convenient.

A "squib" load as they refer to it has happened to me twice over the course of somewhere over 200k rounds through my pistols but w/ modern factory production ammo it is a VERY rare occurance.

As far as your grip goes, placing your support thumb on top of your primary thumb keeps the support thumb behind the cylinder gap area protecting it from getting hit by the explosive gases that escape between the cylinder & "forcing cone" or barrel.

Back
Top Bottom