• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

tips for new shooters to keep from getting hurt

I think I said in my post I have read the manual. This is not said to be mean but it doesn't seem like anyone is ACTUALLY reading my post and paying attention. I GIVE UP>

Last edited:
Protective Measures

I really appreciate that. I would hate to take advantage of someone who does this for a living. I was looking for things like what happens when your revolver misfires and you don't catch it. How to tell when you have a problem before doing something you shouldn't. I'm sure there are things that happen that men are better at than some of us women that once it happens to you you don't forget but I don't want to do something stupid like firing after a misfire and blowing up the gun or my hand. Really appreaciate you. What part of N.W. Ga do you live in?

Last edited:
Furiousbeen
I guess I could but right at this minute I don't think anyone would want me to have a gun in my hand. If it weren't for one or two post I know what I would have to say. You just don't have anything better to do do you.

Last edited:
i'm not a revolver guy, but i saw a video on YouTube the other day that taught me something so i'll pass it along. do not place any of your fingers/thumbs close to the front of the cylinder where it meets the barrel. there is a lot of pressure coming out of there and it could be very dangerous. hickok45 did the video if you look at YouTube and want to check it out.

in addition to the basic rules of gun safety I stress this: if your gun falls out of your hand for any reason, do NOT try to catch it. guns don't fire by themselves, they will fire if you grasp it and happen to catch/press the trigger. a couple idiot marks on the gun is better than an accidental shooting.

I think I said in my post I have read the manual. This is not said to be mean but it doesn't seem like anyone is ACTUALLY reading my post and paying attention. I GIVE UP>

I think what people are trying to say is, in a basic safety course you will learn about the things that can go wrong and how to safely fix the situation. Revolvers are very simple to work with, being that all the parts are pretty clearly visible. The reference to don't try catching a gun if you drop it is a good one, you could accidentally pull the trigger. If you get a misfire, just unload it and throw the round away. If you follow the basic safety rules, you shouldn't have any real problems. Good luck

lindab,

What to do with a misfire? Under controlled conditions on a range you have options.

Option one is to treat it like a hangfire. Place the gun on the table muzzle downrange, wait at least one minute, remove the cartridge from the pistol and dispose of in whatever the range deems as the proper manner. I disagree with this for numerous reasons. We don't use black powder and the composition of primers has changed. I have fired literally tens of thousands of rounds and have never seen a hangfire with a modern mettalic cartridge.

Option two is to continue to pull the trigger. The cylinder will advance to the next round. Once you have fired the fifth round you have the option to either continue to pull the trigger until the unfired cartridge comes around again or you can unload and reload with five fresh cartridges. Once again you should dispose of the round in a safe manner.

I apologize for misunderstanding your initial post. I read it to say that you were looking for training to learn how to deal with instances such as a misfire. I'll be more than happy to answer any other questions that you might have until such time as you are able to locate a trainer.

Best Regards,
Wheeler

Protective Measures

I really appreciate that. I would hate to take advantage of someone who does this for a living. I was looking for things like what happens when your revolver misfires and you don't catch it. How to tell when you have a problem before doing something you shouldn't. I'm sure there are things that happen that men are better at than some of us women that once it happens to you you don't forget but I don't want to do something stupid like firing after a misfire and blowing up the gun or my hand. Really appreaciate you. What part of N.W. Ga do you live in?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I have been in classes all day. The last one ended at almost 10:00.
I'm in Dalton but travel some between Calhoun to Ft. Oglethorpe.
I would be glad to take a few minutes w/ you to go over some basics & answer whatever questions/ concerns you may have.
My number is 706-980-0668 if you'd like to give me a call.

Protective Measure
I have added your website to my favorites so when I can take the time I plan on taking your course. It is not that far from where I live and I think it will really help. I don't plan on carrying until I am properly trained but I do want to learn. Thanks so much for you concern and interest.

Back
Top Bottom