• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tips on filming suppressors?

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Okay so my last video wasn't a great representation of the sound from my rifle, but what are some ways to get the best sound from real life to camera?

I thought my target wasn't making much noise as it was a dead soft stump, but maybe at 25 yards it was?

I assume shooting by my lake is not the best?

I plan to do comparrisons next time, but what should the standard be to compare to when firing a subsonic round? 22 suppressed? 1911 45 suppressed? 9mm Glock suppressed? Just to give people an idea of relative loudness. Maybe all of them in order from quietest to loudest for reference?

You can't compare real life to a camera audio recording. This is why the silencer manufacturers spend tens of thousands of dollars on metering equipment. I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish, leave the videos to the professionals.

You can't compare real life to a camera audio recording. This is why the silencer manufacturers spend tens of thousands of dollars on metering equipment. I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish, leave the videos to the professionals.

Don't guess that's what you were looking for lax

Don't guess that's what you were looking for lax

Lol yea I know that they aren't accurate through videos, but plenty of people have fairy active YouTube channels dedicated to silencers. Maybe I should do some shooting but more reviews.

From what I understand the proper equipment for meeting firearms is about a $10k investment up front.

I haven't been able to try it yet because the ATF is taking their sweet time with my paperwork, but I downloaded a free app on my phone that's a SPL (sound pressure level) meter. It seems to be in the right ball park for most things such as quiet office, riding in a car, etc. I'm hoping it will give at least a good comparison between two cans, or suppressed/unsuppressed fire.

Maybe a starting point at least-

I haven't been able to try it yet because the ATF is taking their sweet time with my paperwork, but I downloaded a free app on my phone that's a SPL (sound pressure level) meter. It seems to be in the right ball park for most things such as quiet office, riding in a car, etc. I'm hoping it will give at least a good comparison between two cans, or suppressed/unsuppressed fire.

Maybe a starting point at least-
doubt it, you need a class 1 or class 0 meter for this stuff. It is A. very loud and B. Very fast/short. Class 1 is about $10k not including the precision calibrators and microphones.

Back
Top Bottom