• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tips on filming suppressors?

You know Liberty has a meter, wonder if they would consider letting some of us use it with them?

I can't really see any silencer manufacturer letting you use their meter for ****s and giggles on a youtube channel with a some no name kid with no large fan base following. The reason why manufacturers spend tens of thousands of dollars is so they can collect data during product development or to use that data to show how their particualr silencers fair against the competition.

Last edited:
I can't really see any silencer manufacturer letting you use their meter for ****s and giggles on a youtube channel with a some no name kid with no large fan base following. The only reasons why manufacturers spend tens of thousands of dollars is so they can collect data during development or to use that data to show how their particualr silencers fair against the competition.

they do demo days with their products, just wondered if they would bring it out on one of those days. Liberty are some pretty cool people. Also, I'm not trying to make some huge fan base, just some videos with informational or unique NFA stuff. Heck I'd pay to use it for a day on their range.

Last edited:
they do demo days with their products, just wondered if they would bring it out on one of those days. Liberty are some pretty cool people. Also, I'm not trying to make some huge fan base, just some videos with informational or unique NFA stuff.

Again not sure what you're trying to accomplish, there are tons of videos already out there with people using cameras etc. to record them shooting silencers. The at one time largest silencer dealer (now distributor) created a silencer forum and spent a ton of money on equipment. Initially he was doing tests on various silencers. However he hasn't updated them in quite some time. The data is already there for the most commonly sold silencers. Not trying to be rude, but over 10,000 posts on just one internet forum lends me to believe that you are an attention whore and there is some ulterior motive.

Again not sure what you're trying to accomplish, there are tons of videos already out there with people using cameras etc. to record them shooting silencers. The at one time largest silencer dealer (now distributor) created a silencer forum and spent a ton of money on equipment. Initially he was doing tests on various silencers. However he hasn't updated them in quite some time. The data is already there for the most commonly sold silencers. Not trying to be rude, but over 10,000 posts on just one internet forum lends me to believe that you are an attention whore and there is some ulterior motive.

How does one preface the term "attention whore" with "not trying to be rude"?

There are alot of other platforms out there to test on then just the standards for comparrison. Most test are done on basic handguns and standard cartridges, obviously people want to see more than just that to see what other avenues they can use their suppressors on.

Alot of my hosts are not just standard hosts and numbers don't exist for them and I want to see those numbers or hear opinions on how they sound before buying some. I don't think I'm alone in this since plety of people are stepping out of the basic set ups for some really great hosts.

The audio processing portion of consumer grade video cameras have Auto Gain Control (AGC) which reacts very quickly to changes in sound level. Even though a surpressed gun report is quieter than what we perceive as normal, it's still much louder than ambient background noise as "heard" by the camera's microphone. The AGC reacts in hundredths of a second to reduce recording volume. This makes the recorded sound muffled. In order to accurately record a gun shot (surpressed or not), it requires recording gear without AGC (and a signal limiter so it doesn't clip).

i'd have a baseline setup to use at the beginning of each video. a 22 is a good control idea since most people know how a suppressed 22 will sound. then you can relate the setup you are using to the baseline.

the other variable is on camera/mic location. some calibers/guns will exert more sound to the sides and some project more forward.

a lot of the guys online use a stand to sit the end of the can on to get a consistent starting point so there are no variances in height/distance of the weapons being fired.

oh, and drive to Athens and shoot some 22 out of your guardian9.....i'm jonesing for mine to get to my dealer here so I can at least touch it and maybe get him to take it out to shoot a few rounds through

i'd have a baseline setup to use at the beginning of each video. a 22 is a good control idea since most people know how a suppressed 22 will sound. then you can relate the setup you are using to the baseline.

the other variable is on camera/mic location. some calibers/guns will exert more sound to the sides and some project more forward.

a lot of the guys online use a stand to sit the end of the can on to get a consistent starting point so there are no variances in height/distance of the weapons being fired.

oh, and drive to Athens and shoot some 22 out of your guardian9.....i'm jonesing for mine to get to my dealer here so I can at least touch it and maybe get him to take it out to shoot a few rounds through

meh playing with it makes the wait worse, I just forget about it till the last month.

I think this is what I will do(comparing to suppressed 22's and the unsuppressed sound of the firearm) and I think future I may try and discuss some things about the hardware since the audio alone isn't enough content for a video. and maybe I'll keep me and my "slippers" out of the video so I don't come across as an "attention whore" with "ulterior motives" because lord knows I love collecting internet points.

Hey lax ill give you some attention if we can take you and your suppressors to the range and let me shot some rounds throw them. I'm in the market for one real soon just doing my research first

This is nothing but my opinion but I don't even think the expensive state of the art recording equipment like used on silencerco star videos do a good job giving a true rendition of sound. Sound is such a subjective property to begin with that people often disagree on which sound better even when compared to an spl meter. Many variables affect the tone which doesn't often carry over we'll to electronics.

The only videos I pay attention to are the ones comparing a host suppressed vs. unsuppressed. At least spl meters are offer empirical data and if used consistently, can give you something to compare evenly at an affordable price

Let us know what you decide!

Hey lax ill give you some attention if we can take you and your suppressors to the range and let me shot some rounds throw them. I'm in the market for one real soon just doing my research first

come to Norcross Gun and Range tomorrow for the pinshoot and I'll have my 45 can there.

Back
Top Bottom