• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tired of looking through the adds and seeing BOS required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people just won't sell a combat/ defense oriented gun to a complete stranger. Period.

I'll sell to a stranger, but I want a bill of sale at least, and sometimes in the past when selling sketchy things like a Tec-9, I have the buyer initial some statements that say he's not a felon, not a domestic violence abuser, etc. OR I'll ask to see his Weapons Carry License and make a note that I saw it, and it wasn't expired.

Other people will sell anything to anybody, no questions asked.

If you think you should not as a seller to do anything not absolutely required by law, let me ask you this: Would you sell an AR-15 to a 14 year old boy? Why not? Is that illegal? A private party sale? Show me the federal or Georgia law that says minors cannot buy shotguns or rifles (we have two such laws for handguns, but I'm talking about selling a kid your AR-15 or AK-47).

Sometimes personal responsibility means more than just following the bare minimum required by law, especially when there are no relevant laws on point about the scenario you're facing.

Valid point. I draw the line at the point where I would be adamantly opposed to a mandate.

If the government did pass a law that said I can't sell a rifle to a 14 yr old, would I be upset? Nope.

If the government passed a law that said I have to have a record of every sale, would I be upset? That's a huge freaking understatement.

By volunteering to do something that the government should never mandate, you pave the road to harmful restrictions. I really hoped for more out of a member that is pushing a gun law booklet.

I usually volunteer to show my GWL and would ask for the same in return. At least then we both know that we are dealing with another honest guy who has nothing to hide.

And from a pragmatic standpoint, the better we police ourselves the less likely we are to lose the ability to do private sales in the future. All it takes is one person to shoot up a public place with a gun bought on the ODT and we will all be crucified for it. Not saying I think it would ever happen but on the off chance it did, we're all ****ed. Lets at least put forth a little bit of effort to prevent this.

Now this poses a question, ok buyer A has a felony and is addicted to drugs, yet he still has his GWL. Buyer B sells him a gun, what would happen if they were caught? I mean I guess it's the same as if someone lies on a 4473 at the shop. But how would that pan out?

whos to say the seller isn't a felon? Because they want a BOS, that makes them gods gift?

No, no, no, silly. You see, bills of sale are like gun laws. They prevent criminals from having guns. A felon can not sign nor supply a bill of sale because the form says right on it that they are not felons. And as we know, it is quite impossible to fake your identity.

They also shield you from being prosecuted if a gun you sold is used in a crime, as it is a criminal act to have once owned a gun which was used in a crime. You should be sure to have it notarized, because a notarized document is official.

Clearly there is a rash of individuals who are on ODT who are felons and children and who are duping law abiding citizens into unknowingly selling them firearms. Which is also a crime.

So you see - BOS's are magic.

All kidding aside, I don't mind giving you my name and signature (that is readily available anywhere in NE GA) and letting you take a look at my licenses, but I never require it and you are not getting anything more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom