Tisas 1911 A1 sight replacement

Xavier

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

Anyone offer any services to get some 1911 sights replaced? I have a Tisas 1911 A1 and I realized these sights are non removable, so the new sights will have to be milled on I think. Looking to install some night sights of the correct size.

Will post a link to the exact pistol I have if it helps. Appreciate anyone who reaches out!

Those sights aren't "non removable". The front sight is staked on and removeable like any other staked on front 1911 sight. The rear sight is a dovetail cut. It's probably a GI cut dovetail, but a replacement sight will likely require some fitting.

Those sights aren't "non removable". The front sight is staked and removeable like any other staked on front 1911 sight, and the rear is in a dovetail cut.

Doesn't staked mean they can be punched out like normal? Im sorry, I am not a pro, but I don't believe they are. My gunsmith told me machining will be needed to change these sights. That is the service I am seeking.

Doesn't staked mean they can be punched out like normal? Im sorry, I am not a pro, but I don't believe they are. My gunsmith told me machining will be needed to change these sights. That is the service I am seeking.

No. Staked in means the front sight has a tenon base, like this -

870-372-67546.jpg

The tenon goes in a slot in the slide, and installed using a staking tool. You can have a dovetail machined into the slide for a new front sight, but it isn't necessary.

The rear sight can be drifted out of the dovetail and the replacement sight drifted in.

I'd find a new gunsmith.

spistols spistols does the 'smith that did the sights on your Delta Elite take on new work, or was that more a friend-of-a-friend arrangement?

OP has a staked sight like the DE has (or had, can't remember if you had a dovetail cut for replacement...)

No. Staked in means the front sight has a tenon base, like this -

870-372-67546.jpg

The tenon goes in a slot in the slide, and installed using a staking tool. You can have a dovetail machined into the slide for a new front sight, but it isn't necessary.

The rear sight can be drifted out of the dovetail and the replacement sight drifted in.

I'd find a new gunsmith.

Thank you so much for this info, I appreciate it! I am now home and looking closer at my front sight and it looks exactly like what you shared with me, I don't know what my gunsmith was talking about... he made it sound like the sight was a part of the slide and had to be "machined" off, but yes, it sounds like I will need a new gun smith.

The easiest thing to do would to leave the front sight where it is and then buy an adjustable Target rear sight. That way the rear sight can be adjustable up and down and from side to side. If the rear sight is dovetailed like was stated in the previous post then you just need to Simply find a rear sight that fits that dovetail or have that dovetail enlarged to fit a different site. Usually those dovetail sites have a little set screw and a little slot cut in the base of the dovetail so that set screw can be loosened and the site can be moved sideways in both directions and then secure down with the set screw. Again like the previous post had mentioned you might have to have one custom fitted or the dovetail enlarged to accommodate the new Target site. Front sight on the gun is completely fine if you replace the rear sight to a Target site because it can be adjusted to accommodate the front sight the way it is. I'm in the same situation with my Umarex Regent that is made by Tisas. It's a Tisas model T0620 Made for Umerex a devision of Walther firearms. It has a Novak style rear sight that is adjustable from side to side but I want to replace that with a fully adjustable Target site. The front sight can remain just like it is as long as the rear sight is adjustable up and down and from side to side. Usually some custom fitting is necessary but that's not really a big deal. You just need to find the gunsmith that can push the old sight out with the necessary tool.

Thank you so much for this info, I appreciate it! I am now home and looking closer at my front sight and it looks exactly like what you shared with me, I don't know what my gunsmith was talking about... he made it sound like the sight was a part of the slide and had to be "machined" off, but yes, it sounds like I will need a new gun smith.
IIRC, there are three basic tenon widths. The old GI 0.056", newer version .125" from Colt and I believe that Springfield is the oddball and they use .085". Staking the tenon on the inside of the slide actually requires peening it to keep it in the slot and not protrude so much it interferes with the barrel bushing. There are a lot of jury-rigged tools out there that are difficult to use that will do it, but the very best I've seen is the Trijicon.....but it's damned pricey. Mine cost around $300 when I got it years ago.

Back
Top Bottom