Title for vehicle

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
1978 GMC Sierra pickup, left by an old fellow, passed away before he paid for the work at a dealership, wife was going to give the title to dealership but she passed away too.

Dealership sold the vehicle to a mechanic working there and now is getting the run around by DMV trying apply lost title/new title as the owner and his wife have passed away.

Any advice?

No title needed.
I sold an 84 VW Westfalia on eBay motors back in 2014. And that's the LAST transaction I'll do on eBay but that's beside the point. The point here is that I dealt with a bunch of out of state potential buyers who needed a title and we didn't have one. So I called the tag office about it and was told that not only does the state of Georgia not require a title on vehicles older than 85 they also will not provide a new title for one no matter what. They WILL provide a letter explaining this to tag offices in other states but that didn't matter to my buyers.
Short answer here is anything older than 85 is legally up for grabs as far as legal ownership.

should be able to do a T22B form where the police come out, run the vin and sign off if there isnt a problem. That and the BOS will get it registered. no title now issued for that year

Is the truck worth more than the work done on it? If the wife never gave up possession, I would think the truck and the associated debt belongs to the heirs.

not if it was abandoned-you have a certain amount of time to pick up your
vehicle even if repairs arent paid for, the heirs probably dont want anything to do
with it(repair bill/mechanics lien).

*some shops wont let you get your vehicle untill bill is paid

Good to know. Ive had an old ford that Ive never tagged since purchasing with no title. I do have a BOS though. Thank God lol.

Good to know. Ive had an old ford that Ive never tagged since purchasing with no title. I do have a BOS though. Thank God lol.

its good to check registration when doing a BOS only

someone could go out,steal a car and write you a BOS

as long as it isnt stolen you should be ok
the gubment hates old cars-n-trucks
on the road so they will try to jerk you
around in any which way they can

Back
Top Bottom