• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomahawk prototype - feedback welcome

blackplague14

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
48   0
Reaction score
I had posted a sneak peek sketch in the Survival forums about a new tomahawk design that I am working on. Today I burned the prototype out on a plasma table out of mild steel. It is less expensive to use mild steel to make changes to the design before investing in a knife quality steel.

Feedback is welcome, but be warned. I don't take criticism well and may be a whiny baby. If you can do better, then go make your own tomahawk. :)

The final design will be either laser cut or water jet, but I have a plasma at work, so that is what was used for the proto. The edges are wavy and rough, but you can get the general idea on the design.

1/4" thick, 4" cutting edge, approximately 16" long. Finger groove at the top of the handle so that the blade can be used as a precision cutting tool, much like an Alaskan Ulu. http://www.ulu.com/pages/History-of-the-Alaskan-Ulu.html

A couple of changes that will be made:

This proto has a 1" wide handle. It is too narrow. The next run will have a 1 1/4" wide handle and have the same profile as our pry bar. Once I get G10 handles made, they should be compatible with both the pry bar and the hawk.
The angle of the spike needs to be adjusted so that it matches the profile of our pry bar.
G10 handles will most likely be made in similar texture and color as our punch rings.

So here are the pics:

And a short video of the plasma table at work:

I like it! Overall it looks good. What would be the chances of making a 1 1/4" wide G10 grip that goes over the metal- maybe 1 1/2" to give a bigger gripping surface/width and not adding weight? Maybe kind of thick G10 too. (See how that didn't sound like criticism?)

One other random thought- I love the idea of having a pry bar/dual use tool... What if the bottom of the grip had a tang coming off the front similar to a DPx Heft? It would keep it from slipping out of your hand and add a prying surface.

That thing looks pretty dang cool to me! maybe a handle made into the head with some type of prybar on the the other end....

something like this.

tomahawk_30-000792-3.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-30-000...m_auto_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y1HWGHY77ET5K6NE7XG

sign me up for one.....:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom