• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TOPIC: Legal age for gun carry

"If you are old enough to fight in a war you are old enough to buy pistols, drink, vote, rent a Dam car and everything. If they want to keep the drinking and pistol buying age at 21 then they should raise the enlist age requirement to 21 to!"

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

I have always been of this opinion. If you are old enough to be DRAFTED, then you should be able to participate in all of the other "adult" rights. People always say "I know too many irresponsible 18-year-olds" when I say that the drinking age should be lowered to 18. My response is that I know too many irresponsible 30-year-olds. All the people I know who've gotten DUI's were in their 30s and 40s. To say that there is a vast maturity difference between 18 and 21 (as it relates to carry laws) is a joke. Who is the government to decide who should get to carry and who shouldn't (other than violent offenders for the obvious reasons)? It is everybody's 2nd ammendment right to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS!!!!

And yes, the thing about the 8-year-old with the AR is a VERY good point, too. I've never thought about that before!

More government regulation, thats what we need.

\sarcasm off

This!
This too! Having aged a few years since my 20's I see that there is no way in hell I should have been carrying a pistol at age 21 (even though I did) much less 18. While you would have been hard-pressed to convince me at the time, I'm not even sure I was responsible enough at 25. Most of us guys don't really reach maturity until about 25 anyway, so if you asked me I would go to the opposite extreme and say raise the age to 25. Now SPIKE, ask me at what age a citizen of the United States of America should be able to exercise a constitutional right.

Not government regulation. it would be optional. if you can die for country at 18 you have to go through basic training. What would be the difference if you wanted to carry at 18 then you should have to go through courses and training to do so.

Not government regulation. it would be optional. if you can die for country at 18 you have to go through basic training. What would be the difference if you wanted to carry at 18 then you should have to go through courses and training to do so.

You have to pass a test to drive, however driving is not a constitutional right.

I feel there are some valid points, I dont want some of my buddies to be carrying at 25, much less 18. But on the principal of the thing, legally I feel if your an adult at 18, then you should be given the rights of an adult

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

And

Originally Posted by olchevy
"If you are old enough to fight in a war you are old enough to buy pistols, drink, vote, rent a Dam car and everything. If they want to keep the drinking and pistol buying age at 21 then they should raise the enlist age requirement to 21 to!"

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

At 18 you are old enough to enlist, go to prison, elect our governing body and sign a legally binding contract that you can be taken to court to enforce. I would think you should be able to protect yourself with something better than a sharp stick. If there's a class requirement so be it but it should be a right you are able to exercise if you chose to.

Last edited:
Kids today are frigging stupid. They are crazy and dumb. No, I dont think they should lower it. There are way to many kids NOW that carry handguns and kill other people. Kids these days do not think before they act, they just react. If he gets into a little argument and has a gun then there is a greater chance that he will use it. I vote no. Watch the first 48, kids on there under the age of 18 kill people ALL THE TIME. Over stupid stuff too.

Kids today are frigging stupid. They are crazy and dumb. No, I dont think they should lower it. There are way to many kids NOW that carry handguns and kill other people. Kids these days do not think before they act, they just react. If he gets into a little argument and has a gun then there is a greater chance that he will use it. I vote no. Watch the first 48, kids on there under the age of 18 kill people ALL THE TIME. Over stupid stuff too.

would they go out of their way to get a permit, if they were going to kill someone over a pair of nikes?

I agree and disagree. I know there are seveal 18 year old with no business carrying a pistol. Then again, I am sure there are 18 year olds that are more than responsible to accept this task. My father used to say the same thing, if you are old enough to enlist, then you should be old enough to drink a beer. I think if you do enlist, then you should be considered of age to drink, carry and all that good stuff.

would they go out of their way to get a permit, if they were going to kill someone over a pair of nikes?

Sure, people with no criminal records kill people all the time. I think someone who is not mature enough to handle it is more likely to cause harm to someone else or themselves. Just look how many people under the age of 21 get into car wrecks. They cant handle a CAR! What makes you think they are ready for a handgun?

Back
Top Bottom