• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TOPIC: Legal age for gun carry

18 year olds are NOT mature enough to carry a loaded pistol concealed on their person. I don't care how much of an honor roll student or johnny do-gooder they are, they have no business carrying a tool that is only meant to take life in the easiest way possible.

Big egos, big drama (fresh out of highschool), big fights. That means a lot of deaths.

and yet they can sign their life away to go die for their country where they carry loaded assault rifles, pistols, grenades, and what have you?
Look at how many kids get their hands on guns now? They don't care if its legal or not. If they don't live with mom and dad then they should have the option to protect themselves with out carrying a loaded shotty around.

and yet they can sign their life away to go die for their country where they carry loaded assault rifles, pistols, grenades, and what have you?
Look at how many kids get their hands on guns now? They don't care if its legal or not. If they don't live with mom and dad then they should have the option to protect themselves with out carrying a loaded shotty around.

Let me break this down for you. When you go to war as an 18 year old, YOU by yourself are not going to war. You are going to go through some extreme mental and physical training. You will be taught everything you need to know. Also, you are going to be watched like a hawk by your NCO's and Officers while deployed or in garrison.

Apples to Oranges. Same with the drinking thing. People say " Oh well I can die for my country but I can't drink at 18!". That's because at 18, you are hundreds of more percent more likely to drink and drive or do some other malicious action.

As I said before, 18 year olds are not mentally mature enough to be carrying a killing tool in their waste band, just no way. They just got out of highschool, still think they know everything, and have no concept of the REAL world yet. You would see more stories of Bobby shooting Kevin for stealing his girlfriend than Bobby fighting off muggers with his M&P he got for his birthday.

Now if you are in the military at 18, then you should be able to have one, but not as a civilian.

I can't speak for everyone but I know that if I was carrying at 18 I would have gotten into trouble with it. I wouldnt have shot anyone but it would be hard to resist showing it off at parties and stuff. I agree that the drinking age should be 21 and so should the age to carry a handgun. I go to college with a bunch of 18-19yr olds and you woudlnt believe the stupid things that they fight over. Last year one of my roommates was attacked with a knife because some asshole "didnt like what he wrote about him on facebook". Earlier this semester some kid was hit with a baseball bat because he wouldnt share his doritos with some other kid. I wish I could say I was making this stuff up but its true. However Im all for letting older students with CCWs carry to class.

I think that there needs to be a national concealed carry permit. If you have a clean record, are over 21 and can pass a 1-2 day class that includes all of the legal aspects of carry as well as some time on the range to prove that you can handle a gun safely then you should be allowed to carry EVERYWHERE in ALL 50 states.

I think that there needs to be a national concealed carry permit. If you have a clean record, are over 21 and can pass a 1-2 day class that includes all of the legal aspects of carry as well as some time on the range to prove that you can handle a gun safely then you should be allowed to carry EVERYWHERE in ALL 50 states.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have always thought this....

I think 18 year olds are 105.7% more likely to say something likely to incite a riot as compared to 21 year olds. Therefore I think you shouldn't have free speech untill your 21...

This should be a constitutional discussion, not individual assessments of how incompetent xx year olds are compared to xx year olds.

Maybe it should be "IF he/she does" not "SINCE he/she can". If an 18yr signs up for the military he should get a carry permit and license to drink upon bootcamp completion.

I've never been in the military, but I'd be ok with that. If a young man/woman wants to risk life and limb to protect me an mine, I'd be happy to see them at the range and buy them a drink after.

The rest of the teenage punks better stay off my grass.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

N where in this statement says my right needs to be regulated in anyway. No where in this statement does it say you can pass laws to get around it. No where does it say I have to pass a class... apply for a permit.. be a certain age... or carry in certain places.

infringed past participle, past tense of in·fringe (Verb)
1. Actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.): "infringe a copyright".
2. Act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: "infringe on his privacy"

N where in this statement says my right needs to be regulated in anyway. No where in this statement does it say you can pass laws to get around it. No where does it say I have to pass a class... apply for a permit.. be a certain age... or carry in certain places.

That's what I'm talking about! :)

Back
Top Bottom