• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TOPIC: Legal age for gun carry

So it would be better to let 18 year olds walk around with loaded pistols that you know they'll bring to parties and fights over ridiculous things such as girls and money..........

Yep, if that ever happens, best believe I'm packing my AK-74 under my coat every time I go to the mall if that's the case.

18 year olds are NOT mature enough to carry a loaded pistol concealed on their person. I don't care how much of an honor roll student or johnny do-gooder they are, they have no business carrying a tool that is only meant to take life in the easiest way possible.

Big egos, big drama (fresh out of highschool), big fights. That means a lot of deaths.

THIS!

Another huge downside to allowing 18yr olds to carry is that their actions would reflect on all of us. All it would take is one really bad incident and the media would have a field day with it and there would be a huge public outcry from the left to ban ALL carry permits. Personally I don't want my rights to be endangered by some dumbass high school kid.

And yes I know that is very hippocritical of me because 18yr olds are defending all of my rights in Iraq and Afghanistan right now...

Another huge downside to allowing 18yr olds to carry is that their actions would reflect on all of us. All it would take is one really bad incident and the media would have a field day with it and there would be a huge public outcry from the left to ban ALL carry permits. Personally I don't want my rights to be endangered by some dumbass high school kid.

And yes I know that is very hippocritical of me because 18yr olds are defending all of my rights in Iraq and Afghanistan right now...

This could just as easily be said about anyone, not just a 18 year old. The 37 year old that has watched too many movies. Carrying for all the wrong reasons. I don't worry about anyone that carries, so long as they know WHY they carry

wow, first time i've seen anti-gun sentiments in a gun forum. anti-gunners use this same argument to ban guns from civilians stating that people are not responsible enough to own firearms. at what age should one be at to legally be able to defend oneself with a firearm? my daughter will be turning 18 soon and she has spend many hours/days/months at the range to be proficient. it sucks that she will not be able to defend herself until she turns 21. i worry about her every time she goes out with her friends to the movies or dinner.

as with older adults, there will be 18 year olds that are irresponsible or have no respect for firearms and are a danger, but that's the price we pay for being able to own/carry firearms.

-a|ex

Here is a fact.

On average, human beings do not reach full emotional and psychological maturity until about age 27-28.

This is not an issue so much in the military, as regards firearms, where there exists strict instruction as to how, when to use a firearm, backed up by strong discipline. Yet, even at that, we see and hear of young soldiers losing their tempers, and shooting people they should not be shooting.

Without such structure in civilian life, some may think it dangerous, statistically speaking, for most sub 26 year olds to be carrying around a gun.

Just a few facts, I am not advocating one way or another.

Still, it IS interesting that some Car Rental places will not rent to anyone under 25. Correlation?

It seams rediculous that a legal adult, one that should be afforded their full rights is denied due process when hyaving them removed in situations such as drinking age and carry age. Unless the federal government can show compelling evidence that 18 year olds should not be allowed to carry and create a law that is narrowly taylored to only take it away from those who are proven a threat by the compelling evidence, it is not constitutional to remove someones fundamental rights. I know I wish the girl who was robbed and killed on Auburn campus had a fighting chance.

To the people who say the 18yr old would make us look bad.... Those who use freedom of speech incorrectly make all peole who exercise it look "bad", it doesn't change it is a constitutional right afforded to all adults. under this logic it would be easy to take away guns from seniors under the fear that their brains are not in their "prime" any more.

Even stronger arguments put forward by Princeton show that the wording of the 2nd amendment shows it is a pre-existing right, meaning it existed before the constitution or is a "God- given right". Therefore there is no way to take away the right from anyone, regardless of citizenship. Additionally, the wording is often interpeted as not only a right, but a responsibility.

Last edited:
I think with teaching gun safety mixed with common sense and knowing the laws..even though some of it could be garbage....with tho three things I mentioned along with training..should do well.

Back
Top Bottom