• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trailer help

You need to move.
I have one that my son gave to me that was beat up, no tag. We rebuilt the trailer and I went to the tag office and told them I had acquired a home built trailer. Lady asked me when it was built and I told her "today." She gave me the vin tag and the tag and that was it.

Ya. But my tag office is saying I need to first get it inspected that’s it’s a homemade trailer then get the vin then get it reinspected. Then get a tag.
I was told that the point of having it inspected was to insure that I actually attached the VIN plate. Not sure what your tag office has on their mind. Sounds like someone up there is clueless.

Register it in a rural county.. All the trailers here are home made but a deputy will inspect to see if you put the assigned vin plate on the trailer

A couple of years ago I bought a trailer with no VIN and took it to the tag office in Forsyth county. I had my drill and rivet tools in the truck with me.
This was how it went for me.
1. Drove truck and trailer to the tag office.
2. Filled out the form and got a VIN tag
3. Attached the VIN tag to my trailer with rivets while still in parking lot
4. Called the sheriff's office for inspection
5. Waited 30 minutes for an offer to come to the tag office to sign off on my form.
6. Walked back into the tag office and got my tag.

I thought the officer would want to inspect the trailer to ensure it had lights, etc, but he just need to see the vin tag.

I did one recently and in Madison County the process was to get the vin plate and inspection form from the tag office, attach it to the trailer then have it inspected and the form signed by any LEO from any agency in the state. Then take the form back to tag office and get a tag. It was pretty easy.

I did the same in Clarke County, which usually can screw up a one float parade.

Best thing about doing it in Clarke, is the police station is right across the street from the tag office. No problem at all, which is pretty rare in Clarke County,

I don't get the part about in OP post that the LEO has to verify that it's "homemade". I've done this in 3 counties and they always took my word that it is homemade. When the LEO does the inspecting, he verifies that there is no existing VIN on it, which is the equivalent to "homemade".

Back
Top Bottom