• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Travelling to Illinois

Went to Brooklyn and then stayed four days in Manhattan. I was never pulled over because of my Georgia plates. But I did take my wife and daughter to broadway to see Phantom of the Opera and security took my small pocket knife stating it’s a deadly weapon. I asked does he also confiscate pencils and he just had a confused look on his face😁

North west corner of NY...near the PA line
Traveled thru it on I-90 many times. Grew up between Buffalo and Niagara Falls...right on the river.

IL...no handguns...zero tolerance for offenders
Fixed it. Yea just a couple minutes from the PA line. Blink while you're driving thru and you'll miss it. Ain't but a few houses, a pizza shop and a few wineries.

As a former resident. You can have a gun in your vehicle if its unloaded, totally enclosed in a case. This means? Assume your gun is in a rug, the zipper is broken and only zips half way. The gun is visible and exposed. If the gun can be seen or is loose, in a holster, although in the glove box, or center console you are still up ****s creek and on your way to
to Camp Governor with your choice or George Ryan or Blagojevich wing. Ammo must be inaccessible to the drive and gun. This means the gun and ammo must be separated so should you to access the gun you must exit the vehicle in order to do so and vise versa. "The gun and ammo cannot both be in "Easy Access" of one another.
This is to prevent from grabbing the gun and loading it without leaving the driver or passenger seat.
So in short, if you follow the law the gun will do you no good. I am a former resident and gun shop owner from the Communist Republic of Illinoiska. The law is set up that only criminals and the few who jumped through their demanding legal hoops are carrying guns. One of the reasons I jumped at the chance to move to FREE AMERICA. AKA Georgia.
Thanks for the information.

Posted using my neighbor's wifi.

Yea no way in hell I’m traveling anywhere without my peices. Rather get judged by 12 then carried by 6 but hey to each their own .GOODLUCK!!As long as you don’t give consent they have no reason to search the car unless a k9 scratches and sits lol , I see no way they would know you’re riding with any hardware .

I will be driving to Illinois next month, ... I know we don't have reciprocity in that state with our GCWL.
I just want to have something, even if it will just be in the car or bag, as long as I have something.
In case pf traffic stops, can someone clarify their laws regarding weapons inside the car.

FROM THE ILLINOIS STATE POLICE WEBSITE, Q&A SECTION:

4. A non-resident who has a valid Concealed Carry License from their home state may carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle traveling through Illinois. If the non-resident leaves the vehicle unattended, the firearm must be stored concealed in a case inside the locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle out of plain view. For the purpose of subsection 430 ILCS 66/65(b), a “case” includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

You may ask, "how is it possible to have a gun in that state at all if you were not issued a FOID (firearm owners ID card)?"

The answer is their law, or court cases applying their statutory law, say that having an out-of-state carry license is a valid substitute for a FOID when a nonresident law-abiding citizen visits IL. But it's not a substitute for a CCW in Illinois, hence the requirement that you only store and transport the gun in a certain way in your vehicle, and can't carry it outside your vehicle.

P.S. In real-life, I've both carried illegally in anti-gun states AND complied with their ridiculous gun transport laws that in some cases mandated safe storage that denied me quick access to a loaded, working gun. In those states where I can legally have a defensive firearm handy, ready for action, I WILL, and if possible I'll drive hours out of my way to avoid states where that's not legal (which of course doesn't apply here in the OP's situation where his destination IS in this anti-gun state itself).

Went to Brooklyn and then stayed four days in Manhattan. I was never pulled over because of my Georgia plates. But I did take my wife and daughter to broadway to see Phantom of the Opera and security took my small pocket knife stating it’s a deadly weapon. I asked does he also confiscate pencils and he just had a confused look on his face😁
They will do the same thing at the Fox, so you don't have to travel far to get the treatment.

I had to stick my knife in the side of my shoe at one Fox event, hurt like hell until I got to where I could take it out.

Back
Top Bottom