• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble bore sighting scope on my Kimber 8400 Advance Tactical

If it's possible, I would recommend a better scope and better rings. You should be able to zero with a 20MOA base, but the adjustments in that scope are not allowing you to.

Not a fan of either of those rings.

You've got a good rifle there, don't handicap it with a cheap scope and rings. Nowadays it's easier to make a cheap, accurate, reliable rifle than it is to make a cheap, accurate, reliable scope. I've seen plenty of the former, but not a single one of the latter.

Get out of the 8-32x range and go down around the 3-15x/5-20x/5-25x/6-24x range.

If it's possible, I would recommend a better scope and better rings. You should be able to zero with a 20MOA base, but the adjustments in that scope are not allowing you to.

You've got a good rifle there, don't handicap it with a cheap scope and rings. Nowadays it's easier to make a cheap, accurate, reliable rifle than it is to make a cheap, accurate, reliable scope. I've seen plenty of the former, but not a single one of the latter.

Get out of the 8-32x range and go down around the 3-15x/5-20x/5-25x/6-24x range.

Well put. I might steal that phrase. Would give due credit of course....lol

If it's possible, I would recommend a better scope and better rings.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, what would be the top ring brands and/or models that you would choose? I've done a lot of Googling and for as many people you can find recommending specific rings, there are an equal amount of people disagreeing with those recommendations. I always read your posts on these subjects and feel the ODT is lucky to have a resource like you and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I value your opinions.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, what would be the top ring brands and/or models that you would choose? I've done a lot of Googling and for as many people you can find recommending specific rings, there are an equal amount of people disagreeing with those recommendations. I always read your posts on these subjects and feel the ODT is lucky to have a resource like you and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I value your opinions.

There are several good ring manufacturers out there. Some that I trust (I'm sure there are more good ones that I haven't listed) are:

1. Nightforce
2. Badger Ordnance
3. TPS
4. Seekins

I ALWAYS lap steel rings (check alignment and replace rigs or base for aluminum rings), degrease all threads thoroughly, use a little blue Loctite, and torque to manufacturers' specs. I only use Seekonk torque wrenches, not adjustable wrenches.

Planning on switching scopes soon, just had the 4200 elite on another rifle that the kimber is replacing. Planning on a 14-20 max power range when I find the right scope for it.

Back
Top Bottom