• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trout on the Hooch?

Boot71

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
Good morning all. In the past, I've always trout fished in N Ga creeks. Been to Rock creek, Coopers Creek, Sara's creek, Toccoa river, etc. etc. etc. All the normal spots. Last summer a buddy of mine took me out to the White river in Arkansas. That was my first trout fishing trip from a boat. We had a blast, and caught plenty of trout. We simply motored up the river, dropped a light anchor to slow us down a little bit, and drifted back downstream. Fishing the entire way back. I'd like to take my boat, and my wife trout fishing on the hooch. Wish me luck with the wife part...………….
My question is for those of you who trout fish on the Chattahoochee. Can some of y'all recommend a good place to put the boat in? I've never been to the hooch fishing. I'm not looking for GPS coordinates to anybody's secret spot...……. Just a recommendation for a decent boat ramp, and a decent stretch of the river to try. My boat is a 1548 flat bottom that runs fairly shallow (set up for duck hunting). Is the river up towards Buford dam deep enough for a boat/outboard? Or should I take my kayak? Thanks in advance for any/all help or advice!!
Also, would normal lures/bait work on the hooch? Rooster tails, spinners, power bait for the wife? Thanks again.

I've never boat fished the Chattahoochee so I cant advise boat ramps to use. I know there are people that do guided trips on the river for trout with boats and I'm pretty sure they use bass lures mostly, but they are usually targeting "trophy" size brown trout. I've seen a boat with dual outboards above Jones Bridge, not sure if it was DNR or another law enforcement agency, but your boat should be fine between there and the damn as far as I know. I have personally caught trout on the Chattahoochee on rooster tails and other spinners. I've never really tried anything else. Some sections of the river have different regulations on what you can use so be sure to check those before you go out. I know there is a specific stretch of the river thats artificial lures only, but I don't remember where off the top of my head. I've never had reason to worry about it since I only use artificial lures anyway.

Myself and 2 buddies went today, in the kayaks to check it out. I caught 2 limits (catch & release) on rooster tails and power bait. All rainbows except for 1 small brown. Putting in at Buford dam, and getting out at Settles bridge. We had a blast ! But there's no way I'd want to run my regular boat up near the dam. Some serious shallow spots up that end of the river. I wish we had taken a few pictures so yall wouldn't say "pics or it didn't happen" hahaha . It was a great morning fishing though.

Back
Top Bottom