TZ 80 Headstamp

I've seen split necks, fissures on case walls (vertical), fissures on the walls near the head (lateral), blown primer pockets with gas jetting and finally? Case head separations. I have several cases with these failures presenting but I can't lay my hands on them. Check on the FALFILES where I posted pictures some years ago in the Ammunition Forum.

It's bad ju ju. I have one older L1A1 I'll shoot it in, but that's it. I have only about 80 rounds left if memory serves. There's too much high quality Hirtenberger on the market at stupid low prices to fool with Izzy surplus from '80 - '81.

I've seen split necks, fissures on case walls (vertical), fissures on the walls near the head (lateral), blown primer pockets with gas jetting and finally? Case head separations. I have several cases with these failures presenting but I can't lay my hands on them. Check on the FALFILES where I posted pictures some years ago in the Ammunition Forum.

It's bad ju ju. I have one older L1A1 I'll shoot it in, but that's it. I have only about 80 rounds left if memory serves. There's too much high quality Hirtenberger on the market at stupid low prices to fool with Izzy surplus from '80 - '81.

Wow!

Thanks for the info!

I’ll just put that in the “holy **** it’s the zombie apocalypse and I just don’t care anymore” can.

I’ve shot Hirt, and I like it.

Appreciate the info!

You're welcome. Hate to see anyone ruin a good rifle. I bought about 400 rds during the obama run-up and pulled most of it down, tossing the brass.

While I'm revealing my goober mistakes.....avoid Pakistani ammo too. Only ammunition I ever had to actually ruin a HK91 clone (Greek). The lot had about 15% of rounds without flash holes in the primer pockets. LOL!

C.A.V.I.M. - Venezuelan .308 - stay clear of it too if you can. It's the dirtiest ammunition I've shot. Some sort of tar sealant on the mouths and primers. Stopped a HK91 butt cold. Never seen anything like it.

You're welcome. Hate to see anyone ruin a good rifle. I bought about 400 rds during the obama run-up and pulled most of it down, tossing the brass.

Sounds like the best tactic.

good plinking bullets

Worst incident I came across was a guy blowing up his 308 m1919 with it.....
That would have to really suck

While I'm revealing my goober mistakes.....avoid Pakistani ammo too. Only ammunition I ever had to actually ruin a HK91 clone (Greek). The lot had about 15% of rounds without flash holes in the primer pockets. LOL!

C.A.V.I.M. - Venezuelan .308 - stay clear of it too if you can. It's the dirtiest ammunition I've shot. Some sort of tar sealant on the mouths and primers. Stopped a HK91 butt cold. Never seen anything like it.

Great info!

Back
Top Bottom