• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TZ 80 Headstamp

I've seen split necks, fissures on case walls (vertical), fissures on the walls near the head (lateral), blown primer pockets with gas jetting and finally? Case head separations. I have several cases with these failures presenting but I can't lay my hands on them. Check on the FALFILES where I posted pictures some years ago in the Ammunition Forum.

It's bad ju ju. I have one older L1A1 I'll shoot it in, but that's it. I have only about 80 rounds left if memory serves. There's too much high quality Hirtenberger on the market at stupid low prices to fool with Izzy surplus from '80 - '81.

I've seen split necks, fissures on case walls (vertical), fissures on the walls near the head (lateral), blown primer pockets with gas jetting and finally? Case head separations. I have several cases with these failures presenting but I can't lay my hands on them. Check on the FALFILES where I posted pictures some years ago in the Ammunition Forum.

It's bad ju ju. I have one older L1A1 I'll shoot it in, but that's it. I have only about 80 rounds left if memory serves. There's too much high quality Hirtenberger on the market at stupid low prices to fool with Izzy surplus from '80 - '81.

Wow!

Thanks for the info!

I’ll just put that in the “holy **** it’s the zombie apocalypse and I just don’t care anymore” can.

I’ve shot Hirt, and I like it.

Appreciate the info!

You're welcome. Hate to see anyone ruin a good rifle. I bought about 400 rds during the obama run-up and pulled most of it down, tossing the brass.

While I'm revealing my goober mistakes.....avoid Pakistani ammo too. Only ammunition I ever had to actually ruin a HK91 clone (Greek). The lot had about 15% of rounds without flash holes in the primer pockets. LOL!

C.A.V.I.M. - Venezuelan .308 - stay clear of it too if you can. It's the dirtiest ammunition I've shot. Some sort of tar sealant on the mouths and primers. Stopped a HK91 butt cold. Never seen anything like it.

You're welcome. Hate to see anyone ruin a good rifle. I bought about 400 rds during the obama run-up and pulled most of it down, tossing the brass.

Sounds like the best tactic.

good plinking bullets

Worst incident I came across was a guy blowing up his 308 m1919 with it.....
That would have to really suck

While I'm revealing my goober mistakes.....avoid Pakistani ammo too. Only ammunition I ever had to actually ruin a HK91 clone (Greek). The lot had about 15% of rounds without flash holes in the primer pockets. LOL!

C.A.V.I.M. - Venezuelan .308 - stay clear of it too if you can. It's the dirtiest ammunition I've shot. Some sort of tar sealant on the mouths and primers. Stopped a HK91 butt cold. Never seen anything like it.

Great info!

Back
Top Bottom