• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unfortunate Alpha-gal Diagnosed, Seeking Venison Sources or Land to Hunt

BrentMellecker

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
33   0
Reaction score
Hey there,

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out to this community because I recently got diagnosed with Alpha-gal syndrome, which basically means that the only red meat I can safely eat is venison, or I otherwise risk anaphylactic shock. I've always been a meat-eater, grill master, carnivore, and I'm determined to keep enjoying it.

So, here's the deal – I'm on the hunt (pun intended!) for safe and reliable sources of venison, or, if possible, the chance to contribute to land where I can get my hands on some deer myself. I don’t want to steal anyone’s trophy buck, honestly, a couple doe to fill my freezer is all I’m looking for. If any of you have any tips, recommendations, or info on where to find venison or access to some reliable hunting land, I'd be incredibly grateful for your help.

This diagnosis has been a big curveball for me, but I know my hunting community can help me keep enjoying steak, burgers, jerky, etc. Your insight would mean the world to me.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice you can share.

Brent Mellecker
BrentMellecker@gmail.com

Hey Brent, sorry to hear about the prognosis, where are you located? Might help folks to know where you are in order to assist you.

According to Google

What foods trigger alpha-gal syndrome?

Meat and dairy contain alpha-gal, which can lead to a severe allergic reaction. Mammalian meat (such as beef, pork, lamb, venison, rabbit, etc.) can contain high amounts of alpha-gal. Certain cuts of meat may contain more alpha-gal than others.

Interesting. Makes me wonder which came first. New experimental cancer drug or ticks with weird antibodies.

A buddy of mine had it for over ten years. Gradually (and thankfully) he got over it. He could not eat any mammal at all…had to carry an epi pen everywhere he went just in case. He’s now able to eat beef and pork and venison again…so there is hope!

Good luck and stay safe!

which basically means that the only red meat I can safely eat is venison, or I otherwise risk anaphylactic shock.

This is not correct. Venison triggers it too--any red meat from mammals and dairy products.

Just eat duck, chicken, turkey and seafood and you'll be fine. It usually takes 2-3 years to clear.

This is not correct. Venison triggers it too--any red meat from mammals and dairy products.

Just eat duck, chicken, turkey and seafood and you'll be fine. It usually takes 2-3 years to clear.
I’m just going off what my doctor said, but you very well may be correct, haven’t tried any venison since I got it

Back
Top Bottom