Unsafe Range

Just out of curiosity, if my gun is on the table in my lane with the bolt/slide locked open, why does it matter if I am loading mags behind the range away from my gun? Only asking because I went to Sandy Springs Gun Club and did this exact thing. Left my gun on the rest in my lane and we back behind the line to load my mags where my bag was on the self and the gun told me I couldn't do that...
i load mags all the time away from the shooter bench

heck i usually take someone with me and while they fire i will load my mags

never been told not to do this. of course i only do this with magazines so im not loading revolvers or anything lol

i load mags all the time away from the shooter bench

heck i usually take someone with me and while they fire i will load my mags

never been told not to do this. of course i only do this with magazines so im not loading revolvers or anything lol
Believe me, it caught me off guard too. I couldn't even get an explanation as to why he told me it wasn't safe. That's how I was always taught, leave your gun facing down range, slide/bolt locked to the rear, chamber flag inserted(once it melted and that was a disaster), and load your mags away from your firearms.

Last edited:
Believe me, it caught me off guard too. I couldn't even get an explanation as to why he told me it wasn't safe. That's how I was always taught, leave your gun facing down range, slide/bolt locked to the rear, chamber flag inserted(once it melted and that was a disaster), and load your mags away from your firearms.

I gave up on Sandy Springs Gun Club. Never really treated me all that great. I don't get why they would give you a hard time about this. I don't see anything wrong with it. Everything you explained sounds fine to me. I say go to a different range. But I'm biased because I had a bad experience with them.

I gave up on Sandy Springs Gun Club. Never really treated me all that great. I don't get why they would give you a hard time about this. I don't see anything wrong with it. Everything you explained sounds fine to me. I say go to a different range. But I'm biased because I had a bad experience with them.
Yea. Lately I've been going to the WMA ranges and have had good experiences there...but have seen a few things that make me cringe

Went to Chestnut several years back and had some nefarious characters STANDING ON the range when we pulled up…we paid our money and began to walk up the path just in time to hear AUTOMATIC fire from a Tec9. I am sure the owner of that weapon had no clue what a "Stamp" was….

there were 3 cars in the parking lot and about 15 people out on the range….

We never fired a shot….

Since then I have been a member of a private range….I steer clear of public ranges at all costs if I can.

Back
Top Bottom